• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to find M101A1 brake cables

mkitchell

I recently purchased an M101 from GL. I'm in the process of replacing the non-existant wheel bearings and noticed the brake cables are not present. I've unsuccessfully searched the net trying to source this part. Anybody know who carries them, or the cable specs to find something compatible at an auto parts store?
I found out the hard way that the drivers side lugs are left hand threads, after jumping on a breakover bar for over an hour trying to get them loose.

mkitchell

I found a couple of places that have cables, but I need the correct part number for the cable. I've found 2 diffents cables, one is 69" long and the other is 74" long. Any clue as to which one is correct?
Thanks.

Stan

Sorry can't help with the lenghts, but for future reference where did you find them and what sorta pricing and availablity. Thanks

mkitchell

I've got 2 different part numbers from the tech manual: 11686101(NSN2530-01-168-7906, 69" long) & 15641501(NSN2530-01-429-8346, 74" long).
From what I've found, 1168601 is for the a2 trailer.
Would this mean the other is for the a1? Or would it be for the a3?
This manual has been updated so many times I can't tell what's for the a1, a2, or a3.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

mkitchell

This is what the usable on codes for each read:
11686101 - cable and conduit a 69 inches long
uoc:ct1, spr, tc1, 258, 263
15641501 - cable and conduit a 74 inches long
uoc:ct1, tc1

If you can make heads or tails out of it, please do.
I have no idea what I'm looking for here.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look in the first few pages of the repair parts section of that TM. There will be a Code Key that tells you which trailer is which UOC.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That TM doesnt cover the M101 "Plain Jane" model, northe M101A1 models, so the info in the later TM doesnt apply. You need to find a older TM that covers the Plane Jane M101/M101A1. However, in the post title, you say you need a M101A1 cable... So what trailer do you have? M101, M101A1, or ?????

Using a TM's not EXACTLY for the item your working on is a crap shoot. 90% of the info I bet is the same, but it's the 10% that has changed that is what you'll be needing.. Thats just how it goes with Mr. Murphy and his law...

We cam help you, but we need some details on exactly what it is you have.... Whats the data plate say?

mkitchell

The data plate says it's a 1968 Case-Master M101A1. Per the conversation with Saturn Suplus, an A2 cable won't work for some reason. I would think that the e-brakes would function the same on all of them, but I guess they don't. I realize the A2&3 models have a different braking system, but the e-brake components all look the same in the TM.
Does anybody know where to find an older TM for this trailer? I've searched and can only find the updated ones.
Out of all the trailers on the lot I win the one with no cables, just my luck.
Thanks guys for your help.

mkitchell

I understand that they are probably a little bit different but every e-brake setup I've seen with drum brakes works the same. I don't understand how you couldn't get an A2 cable to work fairly easily.

mkitchell

I emailed Portrayal Press and they have both the old and new versions of the manual. I guess I'll order the manual since it seems nobody else can find a part number for me. Of course then I will scan it and put it in the manual section for the next guy that's trying to find these old part numbers with no luck.