• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get CARC

motormayhem

My hood is real cracked up and the subframe is falling out so anyway I found a good replacement hood for $20. Now I need to get some 686CARC to paint it to match the truck. I am not interested in the substitute stuff as it wont match the texture of the rest of the truck. Any ideas on where I can get a few gallons of the tan carc stuff?

tourus

paint

well i am getting carc from a sherman williams industreal store i did a bunch ar reseach awhile back got some numbers then they crossed them to what is sold today . the woman i spoke to said it is what she sells to a few bases when they order it. it was about 75.00 each gal i have three on order .

optitrader66

I just bought some of the waterborn carc yesterday from Sherwin Williams ,The cost was 98.50 for a gallon of carc , two quarts of hardner were 47.20 each for a total with tax of 206.40.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just bought some of the waterborn carc yesterday from Sherwin Williams ,The cost was 98.50 for a gallon of carc , two quarts of hardner were 47.20 each for a total with tax of 206.40.
that sounds about right. In the 2 years I spent painting my truck and trailer, the price rose from $71 to $96 so I'm not surprised it's almost $100 a gallon.

tuff-truck-guy

u know it might be cheaper to paint the whole rig a carc copy than to paint it actual carc, njust a thought but unless u need chem proof uv absorbant paint id say go substitute and repaint the whole rig easyier to get touch up paint as well and possibly more cost efective

Reactions: emr

optitrader66

$98.50 was for 1 gallon of carc ,you will also need 2 quarts of hardener or @ $47.20 each.
The carc substitute paints are a lot cheaper but the 383 green color is just too glossy and color is not like carc. I've used the rapco carc substitute and it works great and is a lot cheaper but the color I just didn't like .2cents

Truegiant

I think I have 5-6 gallons of black CARC (yes the real stuff.. we were cleaning out the pll shed in the motor pool and they wanted it disposed of)

Make an offer. I am in GA and will have to ship of course. If your local you can have one gallon for free to help out a fellow SS member.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've touched up several spots on my truck with Gillespie 383 green. It doesn't match perfect but I think it's mainly because the CARC is faded. It's pretty close though.

I , personally, would think long and hard about using real CARC at $200 a gallon. Two spraycans (maybe three if you count the underside) is all it would take to paint your hood with Gillespie. That would come to a grand total of $12-$18 plus shipping.

Last edited:

emr

all mil paint fads, and the only way to get a match is like said above , spray the whole thing, use a hobby paint from a supplier close to U, I am an arvoe guy, goes on easy and looks real close to anything on the base by here, my tan looks just like the ones here...

JB

How many gallons of carc would it take to paint an entire M818 top to bottom as well as the under side. I want to do the 3 color camo.

You can count on at least two gallons of base coat then maybe a gallon of each of the other colors. We painted my duece with a base of green (2gallons) then added the brown & black.

Last edited:

JB

Surface was prepped. Sanded rust cleaned and primed where needed. This was my first deuce but not first paint job. I used maybe 4 parts paint 1 part mineral spirits. Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks