• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

where to get dot5 fluid cheapest

gunner_bear

i need some dot5 fluid and want to get the cheapest price i can , looking to get in gallon's:cool:

I have some old BFS, It's from my GamaGoat, when I flushed it out after rebuilding all the wheel cylinders! Wow, a lot of rust and crud was in there! You can have it for free! Is that cheap enough? Almost a gallon too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you need gallons? I buy it in quarts from the local parts store. About $17

MrAugust

in England its 38 dollar's for 500 ml.. (half a ltr) plus shipping.. or 72 dollars a us gallon. plus shipping if we can get a gallon....

3rdmdqm

I'm getting ready to bleed brakes too. Is there a specific type of DOT5 for MV's? I heard talk of not to use standard automotive DOT5. Isn't DOT5 DOT5 no matter where you get it?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dot 5 is Dot 5.

Dot 4.5 or 5.1 or whatever, is not the same as Dot 5.

edit, I found this and I beleive it to be correct.

Because DOT 5 Silicone cannot be mixed with any other brake fluid it has been given a
special purple color. Any owner or mechanic seeing the special purple color should instantly
recognize that the fluid in the reservoir is not normal brake fluid.
There are actually two types of DOT 5 fluids. There is a SBBF (Silicone Based Brake Fluid)
and a DOT 5.1 NSBF (Non-Silicone Based Fluid). For several years DOT 5.1 was not
available to the general public and there was a very low chance of getting the two confused
with each other. However, the latest generation of motorcycles is now using DOT 5.1 and it
is becoming more commonplace. Be aware that DOT 5.1 has the same base chemistry as
DOT 3 and DOT 4 and therefore does NOT offer the advantages of DOT 5 Silicone.
Another point of confusion is that most people assume that since DOT 5.1 has a higher
number it must therefore be better. This is simply not true. DOT 5.1 was formulated for use
in ABS systems that require a less viscous fluid. From the information I was able to gather it
seems that most road racers are now relying on the latest generation of DOT 4 brake fluid,
along with regular fluid replacement, for the ultimate in hydraulic brake system performance.​
So we may conclude that DOT 5.1 is not an improvement, but a modification for ABS use.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a day goes by, that my wife irons her clothes and I think of that movie(where he warms up the grilled cheese sandwich with the iron).2cents

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the current use Military vehicles are still using BFS(Dot 5)?

3rdmdqm

I have two rear axle seals leaking. My plan is to tear down both rear axles completely to replace all wheel cylinders, all brake shoes, inspect bearings, replace all inner/outer seals and inspect brake hoses and replace if necessary. My question is this, how much DOT5 will be needed to complete this job and bleed the system? 1 gallon? 2 quarts? I suppose it wouldn't be bad to have some of this stuff on hand after the fact just in case, so I'm guessing get a gallon? If I'm getting a gallon, it looks like the recent post from Eastern Surplus at $54 is the best I have seen. However if I'm not going to need that much, I'll go to NAPA or Autozone and get the quart. Thoughts?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I bought 5 gallons in a sealed can, shipped to me for $180 from dfloros@aol.com

I can't remember where I found them-here, ebay or what.

It was $30 a gallon + $30 shipping.

$30 a gallon is my limit. Goes higher than that and I'll be goign the DOT3 route (as much as I don't want to).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks