• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get Flywheel for 6.2 Cucv

biped

My truck eats a starter about every 3 years. The mechanic who installed the last starter says the flywheel is part of the problem. I'm not seeing a replacement flywheel on-line so I thought I ask if someone on the forum can point me in the right direction. The truck has been bomb-proof in every other way. New glow plugs made a huge difference this winter.

Biped

Bigbondo007

It's the same as any 6.2 with a th400. If your store doesn't list a D30 Chevy order one for a civy model. Most napas have the d30 in the system

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Skinny

I would guess the pinion clearance is not being checked. I'm guilty just as anyone else for not measuring it. Stick whatever shim that was in there.

But if it's "eating" starters this would be the first thing I look at.

biped

I would guess the pinion clearance is not being checked. I'm guilty just as anyone else for not measuring it. Stick whatever shim that was in there.

But if it's "eating" starters this would be the first thing I look at.
Thanks guys. I'll be checking pinion clearance. I'm on phone with Napa tomorrow.

Biped

INFChief

My truck eats a starter about every 3 years. The mechanic who installed the last starter says the flywheel is part of the problem. I'm not seeing a replacement flywheel on-line so I thought I ask if someone on the forum can point me in the right direction. The truck has been bomb-proof in every other way. New glow plugs made a huge difference this winter.

Biped
I didn’t read all of the replies - but - my experience was that the starter must be properly shimmed. Also, we were getting poor quality flex plates through the Army supply system. Our solution was to local purchase heavy duty flex plates at our local GM dealer.

Guruman

Not so new member
It will probably be a vicious cycle until you replace both the flexpalte and starter at the same time, making sure to get the starter shimmed correctly.

FWIW, Autozone shows the flex plate available in a couple of options for a 86 c30 with a 6.2 I'm guessing you need the fra-142 maybe. Next day delivery for me here.

I had a CUCV starter let me down years ago 3 hours from home in zero degree temps at sundown. I had to hitch a ride buy tools and pick up a starter. Changed it in my clients parking lot, only to find out the new starter was bad too. Another hitched ride to buy the last starter in town 2 minutes before the parts store closed at 10pm, and swapped in the second starter while wondering if I was going to freeze to death. Finally got it working around midnight. Good times.

1644939563321.png

biped

It will probably be a vicious cycle until you replace both the flexpalte and starter at the same time, making sure to get the starter shimmed correctly.

FWIW, Autozone shows the flex plate available in a couple of options for a 86 c30 with a 6.2 I'm guessing you need the fra-142 maybe. Next day delivery for me here.

I had a CUCV starter let me down years ago 3 hours from home in zero degree temps at sundown. I had to hitch a ride buy tools and pick up a starter. Changed it in my clients parking lot, only to find out the new starter was bad too. Another hitched ride to buy the last starter in town 2 minutes before the parts store closed at 10pm, and swapped in the second starter while wondering if I was going to freeze to death. Finally got it working around midnight. Good times.

View attachment 859006
So, I bought the flex plate and the starter. Do you know the torque spec's for the flex plate? The transfer case takes the same fluid as the transmission, right?

Last edited:

Guruman

Not so new member
So, I bought the flex plate and the starter. Do you know the torque spec's for the flex plate? The transfer case takes the same fluid as the transmission, right?
Sorry, I'm not much help there. I owned all of my CUCVs long before I owned a torque wrench. If it's not in the TM, I'd figure it the same as the civvy 6.2. Hopefully someone else will chime in for you.

biped

14077157 is the GM part number per -34 TM. 65 ft-lbs is the torque specification.
Thanks. The flywheel is installed. Next we put transfer case back and oil pan, starter. Fixed the main seal leak too. So, now I've a 36 year old 6.2 that should last a while longer. Engine oil cooler lines remain a puzzle. Everybody says they leak and you can't find replacements that don't leak too.

Thanks for you help.

Biped

Keith_J

The oil cooler lines on my 1031 have leaked near the sampling port ( coolant overflow reservoir) since I've owned it. I have used every durometer Viton oring available, they last for a few months. Only real solution is to replace with AN fittings..I might do this after I swap head gaskets and install the altitude compensators. 8500 pounds needs more motivation than 155 ponies. I measured 0.005" additional stroke possible on the injection pump so 205 Hp is possible. Just need another 10 PSI of air in the intake manifold.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks