• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to get tire inserts 16 R 20

Sarge

Tubes? Flaps? Runflats? What are you exactly looking for?
I have a source of supply for inner tubes, the bad news is that 16:00/18:00 tubes cost around $60 each!
A couple of guys told me that they had a cheaper source, but they never came through with the info.
Let me know if it's tubes you're looking for, I'll have to dig through last years receipts to find the company.
Funny thing is, 14:00 tubes are only $35 each.
If it's flaps you're searching for, any big rig tire shop will have 20's.
If it's military run-flats you are seeking, well, you've come to the right place, someone on this list will know where to find them.
-Sarge

sidewinder

I am looking for the insert that goes between the beads and is also refered to bead locks or the spacer made of rubber to spread the bead and keep tire in place when bolted together.
I also heard some refer to the run flats. I thought run flats were large and keeps tire up after there is a tire failure or puncture. How large are the run flats over bead locks?

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sidewinder:
I think I have 10 of these.
I was planning on running tubes after I find some Hemtt rims beacuse I don't think the tires will hold air.
They have two bars that un-bolt to let the insert squeeze in and out of the hole.
I will also have to check on their weight to see if they are worth being shipped.

Sarge:
Would you share your 16.00x20 tube source?
Les Schwab tires wants $130 ea.

Attachments

Sarge

Tony, you’re in luck, I just found all of the info about the inner tubes.
I was researching them about 18 months ago because I needed 9 of them for my M1003. I asked the question on Steel Soldiers, pretty much just “Where can I get them? And how much will I pay?” Well, I got a lot of replies and a couple of guys said they were available for $30 each. I followed the leads but it turned out that not a single one of them was accurate!
Okay, let me cut a long story short:
I found them locally at a company called Purcell Tire Company in Pflugerville (near Austin) Texas. They cost me $59.95 each plus 8.25% tax.
They come 3 in a box and Purcell would only order multiples of 3 for me.
Here is the info on the side of the box:
Trans American Rubber
1-800-922-8823
Englewood Co 80110 USA
www.transamericanrubber.com
Part #: 3R55
Size: 16/1800R20
Valve: TR179A
QTY: 3
C/No: TRA-45F
Okay, that’s all. I tried being sneaky and calling the 1-800 number to see if I could get them cheaper by ordering directly from them. No dice. They only sell to retailers with a tax ID number. Oh well, I tried.
Given the above info, any good truck tire company should be able to get them for you. Once again, you might have to purchase a full box of 3.
Take a look at their website to make sure that the valve, TR179A, is correct for your application. The valve a few inches long and makes a sharp 90 degree bend about 1 inch from the tube.
Okay, that should be enough info to get you started. Obviously, Purcell Tire Company charged me enough money to cover the shipping and make a profit, so the $130 that you were quoted seems a bit greedy. Unless the guy is selling a much better inner tube. Mine are very robust.
I’m starting to blather now so I’ll quit.
-Sarge

dma251

Incidentally - it is really handy to have at least one of the beadlocks around when you are mounting tires. They are the perfect diameter to rest a wheel on when you are mounting/airing up the tire/seating the bead. It fits perfect on the inside bead of the wheel so the wheel can't slide off, and it keeps the wheel elevated so the tire puts it's weight on the lower bead for whel you are airing them up tubeless, like i do.

We do the same thing for offroad guys that run a internal beadlock on the bolt together wheels, but cut the center piece outta PVC. if your able to cut good you can make your own really cheap. Even though i know its not exact to spec that military uses, but it does work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks