• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to go for winch repair parts?

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

I recently became aquainted with the deuce I won back in March. The truck is pretty solid, however the cabin has about a half dozen trouble areas that are covered with rivited patch plates. Mechanically it performs very well. I recently completed a 1100 mile relocation journey down the I 95 to Ft Lauderdale, Fl. The motor burnt oil at an alarming rate of a gallon per tank the first couple tanks of fuel, then settled down to almost no consumption for the last 500 miles.

When I was checking out my truck pre-trip, I grabbed the in-out lever on the winch and lo and behold, the handle came off in my hand, with a 1" stub of the operating shaft attached. The operating shaft is sheared, and I must assume there will be other maintenance issues awaiting discovery when I commence repairs.

Where should I go to find repair parts for the front winch on the M35A2C? Also, if anyone has the TM number for the winch repair manuals handy, will you please post it?

Thanks,

Rick

Last edited:

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
rockman,

Thanks for the contacts. My browser says Sam's server cannot be located. Have you dealt with him recently?

Is there a "exploded" view of the winch available on line?

Rick

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a couple of winches that I've dismantled for parts. Let me know what you may need. I may have it. I also have the NAPA part number for the bearings.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a parts TM for that winch but I'll be darned if I can remember what it is. I'd also consider White Owl in NC for the winch parts. They've never let me down.

wsucougarx

Sam Winers has absolutly no winch parts except driveshafts. I would check with George at White Owl for any parts. He's got just about anything you need

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-3830-206-34P covers the winches.

post up the parts you need, when you get it apart. I bet someone here will have the parts.

rchalmers3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks you guys for all your experience and assistance. I sure am glad to be here on SS and the brain trust.

doghead, thanks for the TM, I now have it as a .PDF on my iPod.

M16ty, I'll give you a shout when my truck arrives and I lift that heavy SOB offa the frame and get it apart. Should be another month or so.

Building the top plate out of 3/8" flat steel makes very good sense. That's what I'd do if mine looked like that or was missing.

Emmado22, yes, it is a true 0875. Actually, it is my holy trinity: dropsides, hardtop and winch.

Paulopinto, gracias para los fotos.

Rick

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Consider this, If you replace the light metal plates with something more substantial. If you make a mistake and overwind the cable on one side your plates may not "give" like the originals, then you will most likely break the winch case where your plates bolt on.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes and no....

I have not replaced mine, but I have repaired them more than once!

You need a "weak link" , and the thin metal plates are much easier to repair or replace, than the winch end-cases.

Last edited:

divedigger

I have a couple of winches that I've dismantled for parts. Let me know what you may need. I may have it. I also have the NAPA part number for the bearings.
I do not know if I have responded correctly, but I have a 20K braden winch and need the rollers fairlead that go on the front . Big aluminum castings with the rollers Thanks Steve in Gray Tn

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Divedigger, for what truck application, are you talking about? (5 ton with level wind?)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks