• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to mount Hydraulic Winch on an M818?

Rgdl

I picked up a hydraulic winch for my M818 on Saturday. Thank you Kurt Anderson (BigJuice69).

This winch came off a 5-ton wrecker and I believe it's rated for 15,000 lbs. My initial thought was to extend my front bumper and mount it there. But this thing is huge and heavy and a more central mounting location may be a better idea. I will eventually be removing the 5th wheel hitch and fitting a Unimog 404 bed on the rear of the truck. Anyone have suggestions for a good mounting location for this beast?

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to guess your not putting it on the front. Better figure a good heavy plate between the frame rails under the bed. There is that big cross member between the tandems but I don't think it will be wide enough but you could add a plate there and cut bed and fix to match?
The only outher way I can think is like the M920 M916's have it stood up off the rails. If you were closer I have two set ups from the 915's that I don't need.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I had to guess that is a hoist off a crane. If it was mine I might think about 1/2 amsteel blue all the drum could hold. That way you can double or triple out or just have a good long reach. Try tragging a lot of steel through the mud.

Last edited:

Rgdl

that winch came off the a-frame hoist on the back of a 800 series bridge truck. I got 2 of them left for sale.
Thanks for clearing that up Kurt. It was a pleasure meeting you the other day.

If I remember correctly you mentioned that it was rated for approx 15,000 lbs. Does anyone know if there is anyway to find out for sure what the rating is?

spicergear

This *may* help; keep in mind that you have the height of the main truck frame plus you have whatever height the frame of the bed to be put on is going to be so that gives you more room to nest it under the bed. I mounted a 20,000lb Garwood under a deuce bed already behind the tandems. Once figured out, it actually fit well. You may have some head scratching to do with the design of yours however...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks