• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to put a locker?

Hooper

If you had to pick which axle to put a locker in which pig would get it? Or would you put one in all three? I've got stuck three times now and need to make an upgrade somewhere.

plode

Ideally, all three. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with the front axle. It has the most weight over it, so those tires are most likely to get traction(or dig itself deeper in the mud).

Artisan

None, learn how to never stop aiming in a potentially getting stuck attitude
like stopping going up hill and when to gas-it
and learn how to air down till the tires are bulging HUGE! (This entails always being
able to air back up quickly and easily and having those tools ONBOARD
prior to all outtings) .

All men need to go to Glamis w/ 4 wheelers and 4x4's and other toys. Getting stuck sucks,
after a while you learn a few tricks and you get a grip on how to lesson the suckness of
getting stuck! ha`!

Sure, ship happens but more times then not it is operator error and just
utilizing whats ya gots can be a real life saver. Like Airing DOWN!
(or Chaining Up! )

MtnSnow

Ideally, all three. But if I had to pick one, I'd go with the front axle. It has the most weight over it, so those tires are most likely to get traction(or dig itself deeper in the mud).
But I would caution against the front axle as the transfer case is weak in the front output. (this is one of the reasons why it is listed as no use of reverse in low range with the front axle locked in!) I would recommend the front (intermediate) rear axle.

5tonman1971

Your front tandem is the best place to have a locker, you really don't want your front axle locked. The rears are your best place to have lockers. There's not much weight on the rear tandems so they will be the most prone to slippage. Having a locker in the front will make it almost impossible to go down trails due to the fact your turning radius would be compromised, causeing you to have to make a 30-point turn over anything more than a slight veer to the left or right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks