• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to put Speakers

Pballer71

Who has installed speakers in there M1009, I have two front and two rear speakers I want to instal in my M1009. Just wondering where the best spot would be to put these speakers. I wanted to plasma cut a hole in each door for the front two speakers. What do you think? I have boxes for the rear speakers and want to be able to mount them to the truck so they dont get stolen when the top is of, just don't know where to put them where do you think i should put them? Where have you guys who have put speakers in your truck and how have they been?

BIG_RED

I have two large bookshelf speakers on the floor behind the front seats infront of the wheel wells. One is bailing-wired to the rifle rack, the other to the radio mount. Sounds great. I will install wood paneling down the sides in the back and put speakers behind it with nice grills one day. Will hide an amplifier and 1000 watt inverter behind the paneling too.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Pballer: A friend of mine put speakers in ammo cans . He mounted the boxes on the lip/flange where the top is bolted to the top. Just something to think about.

Pballer71

The ammo cans idea sounds really cool. I have boxes for my rear speakers already so i want to use those. How did they sound though with all the noise of the diesel and tires.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a waterproof speaker under each front seat hidden out of the way and a 4 way box in the back sitting on the wheel well. This could be bolted down to the fender but at the moment is not.

Line-X on the box and waterproof marine speakers would solve some problems.

I have not tried with the top off but it sounds good without an amp with the top on. This is not a 2k stereo but works pretty good.

jimm1009

The OEM speaker holes are already cut into the top of the dash right, center, and left sides.

The door speakers will get wet as it rains on your truck.
The rear speakers in civy trucks are mounted behind the rear seat in the side panels but they don't work very well for the driver.
I have had tow speakers sitting behind the front seats on the floor for several years and the seem to be o.k. there. You could mount them vertically on the cavity where teh trim panel would be if you had a civy unit if you wanted.
The uninsulated cabin of the CUCV is a little harder to hear in so the closer the speakers, the better.
jim

lavarok

Dash and doors worked for me. Crutchfield sells foam backing for the door speakers to keep them weatherproof in the door.

allenhillview

Has anyone tried the kick panel enclosures, the jury still out on that one for me, that park brake may or may not be an issue, like to know if someone has tried those? I also plan to use original dash foot print for two there. I was thinking on 6x9 in those cavities behind seat but from what I've read today on this thread, closer is better, don't like the looks of that headliner deal from some vendors.

Last edited:

Anubis8472

I installed four 6" round speakers.

I took some plywood and made some boxes for them, covered with some wally world automotive carpeting I had left from my toolbox.

I mounted the front set to the kick-panel next to the air vents and the rear set to the side panels just in front of the wheel wells.

My front set is a little large and blocks the parking brake lever, I may or may not relocate/mod in the future.

They sound great all though they I'm not running an amp.
The only thing is you get a bit of a metalic echo having no carpet/insulation in the truck.

I made my boxes square, were I to do it again, I would give them some angle.
Fronts up and back, rears up.

Never the less, when I get around to rustproof/bedliner/insulation etc. this spring and perhaps a small amp I think they'll be perfect.

1StumpJumper

Just a thought, anchor box speakers and anything else down!

Years ago I lost a friend who had speakers on the rear windo deck of his sedan. He was in a survivable head on accident and died from an injury to the rear of his head from the speakers flying forward.2cents

Jdg71

Pballer: A friend of mine put speakers in ammo cans . He mounted the boxes on the lip/flange where the top is bolted to the top. Just something to think about.
If you do this make sure you line the insides with Dynamat- or something similar, to prevent rattling, tinny sounds.

GPrez

I made 4 boxes out of plywood just slightly larger than the speakers and mounted them to the sidewall. 2 over the wheel wells and 2 as close to the front as possible. Worked out well, but if you can mount a couple more towards the front seats you'll be happier with the sound. I didn't want to cut holes in the door, and I thought having them at the kick panels would get in the way.

In hindsight I like the overhead console idea from LMC someone suggested. I was reluctant before because I was concerned about the quality and it's pricy. Since someone here gave it a thumbs up I might give it a try in my new 1028.

Pballer71

Those pictures are exactly where i was thinking about putting my speaker. Are the ones in the door waterproof? Mine aren't and I'm worried about them getting wet does that ever happen?

jdeoliveira74

Has anyone tried the kick panel enclosures, the jury still out on that one for me, that park brake may or may not be an issue, like to know if someone has tried those? I also plan to use original dash foot print for two there. I was thinking on 6x9 in those cavities behind seat but from what I've read today on this thread, closer is better, don't like the looks of that headliner deal from some vendors.
I used to install them when I had my shop q logic makes alot of them. They are cool just not to sure i like speakers where they get kicked all the time! I installed my in the lmc overhead console and I made rear walls for the back and installed 2 6x9 in the rear in front of the back seat