• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to Tap Tranny Pan

jj

There "should" be a small round indentation on the bottom of the pan. This dent positions the donut shaped magnet inside. The magnet might be two or three inches in diameter, i can't recall. So, stay an inch, or more, away from the indentation and you will miss the magnet. Anywhere else there is plenty of clearance between the valve body and the pan bottom. The spot i picked for a drain plug was the approxiamate "low spot" on the pan when i have the truck parked in the usual spot for maintenance. I work on a slightly sloped driveway, your "best" location may be different.

sirleaksalot

I was under mine today and it has an drain in it already.
it is not a after market one either because the are where it is at is raised and is towards the engine. I wonder if it was a pan from something that had it already in.

Screamin' Metal

Well, in my 2 pieces of copper, get a plug nut, change out your filter, while the pans off, drill your hole and braze yournut to to to the bottom of the pan. Your done. Put your plug and stuff in it and re-install everything. Also, Add yourself a remote spinon filter....and be done....your regular trans filter will only need changing about every 5 years or so....just keep your spin on freshened up every 6 months

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has a drain on it already. And all the ones i've seen have drains on them too. Kinda wierd? Anyway, I'd install the temp sender on the "Hot" line going to the rad. The temp in the pan will be cooler. Although not by much. It would give you a better idea of the true temps in the tranny.

OL AG '89

Just did the tranny filter and fluid change........
Wow what a rush!!!
I have pictures of the inside of the pan and the "foreign" material that had collected. I pressume the black specs you see in the pictures is clutch material..... :shock:
I am now preparing for the inevitable tranny rebuild... Any suggestions ????

The post that said to tap the pan an inch away from the magnet is BAD ADVICE!!!!
SORRY JJ.......
look at the picture I posted with the magnet and the indent, you need to avoid this area or at least move 2 inches plus away from the magnet.

Can someone post a picture of their's that already had a drain plug installed? I'm curious where it is located. I again pressume at the rear of the pan..... guessin it is lower than the front.....

Attachments

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine and others i've seen are tapped at the back of the pan. On the drivers side rear. And on the side of the pan. Not on the bottom. And the dirty pics you show show are really pretty clean. Mine had a 1/4thick layer of crud in it. After flushing and changing the filter it shifts much smoother.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks