• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where to wire winch to?

grayw0lf

I'm installing a huge winch & a number of other accessories (for heating WVO)in my M1009.

What I'd like to do is ease the burder on the main alternator/battery if possible. To that end, if I hookup the positive of the winch to the correct terminal on the front battery will I in effect be using the battery/alternator of that battery & Not the main 12v system?

Westech

CPL
the cucv charging system is two 12V alts wired in series. One alt charges the first battery and the 2ed charges the rear battery. If you are using 12V things you do not have a choice on where to put the power wires.

mistaken1

The front battery is the main 12v battery. The second battery 'floats' 12V above the vehicle chassis and is used to provide a 24V starting system.

Anything connected to the positive and negative terminals of the second (back) battery will 'float' 12V above the chassis. If that equipment comes in contact with the chassis (like being fastened to it) there will be a dead short through that equipment. Assuming you install and wire the equipment with the batteries disconnected (a good safety practice) when you go to reconnect the batteries you will meet arky sparky the electric genie and no one will be happy.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks