• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where's Cranetruck?

jasonjc

Glade to hear you made it back I was afraid those tires glade it was just one and almost home. Have you seen the tread on the Kenwolth 8X8???

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm glad to see you made it home safely! I look forward to reading more about your adventure.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Glad your home Bjorn, bet your family is happy to see you!

:beer:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome home Bjorn! Have a nice restful night in your own bed. To me, that's the best part about getting home. What powers your new addition and what are your plans?

JCease

Welcome home to old Virginny!!! Congratulations on the completion of your West Coast Odyssey!!! After you relax for a while, you can tell us all the details of your new truck...but take a few days off first!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! Very much enjoyed meeting you all.

Will, the engine is the LDS-465-2, 478 ci, 200 hp made by Continental. The delivery date was 1969. The truck was driven to the site where I picked it up, so shouldn't be too difficult to get it up and running again. Except for a few tires, 16-20 radial tubeless... aua
The transmission is an Allison TX-200-6 (automatic).

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
What is the circular housing for where the road draft tube attaches?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haven't had a chance to look at everything yet. This truck has a lot of interesting features, waterproof brakedrums, pressurized axle housings etc...Don't know Clinto, lots of exploring to be done.

M51dumper

Nice looking rig Bjorn,

I can't believe that it hasn't been asked yet.

How did that monster tow with your truck and did the police chat with you at all about your load? What kind of speed were you able to maintain with the tow?

I know that someone is selling some of those monster tires on Ebay right now. I don't recall them being inexpensive though..... (;->)

Did you run that thing through the scales also?

So are you going to take the easy life, move your crane to the new truck and make shifting a distant memory?????

Are parts easy to get for a 8x8? FWIW, I've seem some new OSHKOSH trucks 8x8 truck chassis being transported south on I-69 through Indiana.

Dave

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dave,
The 8x8 had its problems towing, first off it's heavy (16,000 lb plus), and the front wheels didn't follow through in the turns, so it was literally dragged through the turns, which required low 1st gear to move after a stop sign with a right or left sharp turn following.
We suspended the rearmost axle to make turning easier.

It tended to "fishtail" when driving downhill, but by starting out relatively slow (40 mph) before a downhill run, I was able to give it just enough boost to power it downhill and prevent his. Never knew Tennessee had so many ups and downs! Required constant attention to the road. Hated construction zones with no shoulder and cement dividers (Memphis comes to mind).
Interstate driving, slowest uphill speed was about 30 mph, 40-45 on the level ground and about 50 top speed at the bottom of a hill.
Cops never even looked twice, not even when I was "fixing" the blown tire. Drove some 10 miles on the shoulder and no attention from the cops. Never stopped at any weigh stations (most were closed anyway).
Back road driving was murder on the deuce, sometimes 10 mph uphill, rarily more than 25 with all the curves and hills here in VA.

Scale recipt below.

Attachments

gbooth

Glad to see that you made it home safe and sound. For us that met you on this trip it is a little more special knowing that you are home. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks