• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which 2wd Steering box for Crossover Steering?

shockwave

Hello all, I can"t seem to find an answer about which 2wd steering box I need to get for my crossover steering conversion. Do I need to get one from a 2wd Diesel vehical? or do the 2wd diesel and gas vehicles use the same box?

shockwave

Thought about the Hydro assist but leaning more towards a stock 2wd unit with a ORD steering box brace.
What led me to my original question was seeing the oil lines running from the Hydro Boost to the steering box, just don't want to get the wrong box

Chaski

Thought about the Hydro assist but leaning more towards a stock 2wd unit with a ORD steering box brace.
What led me to my original question was seeing the oil lines running from the Hydro Boost to the steering box, just don't want to get the wrong box
Any 73-87 2wd pickup, suburban or blazer. You don't actually need the entire box. All you need is the sector shaft. Most CUCV'S are low milage, and your box case is most likely in much better shape than whatever 200,000+ Mile junkyard special you may find. Just pull the pitman off of the donor box, then remove the four bolts on the top cap. The entire cap assembly with sector shaft can just be pulled out the top of the box. Snap on CJ119B is a quality pitman arm puller. I normally harvest them from a pick-n-pull wrecking yard.

shockwave

Any 73-87 2wd pickup, suburban or blazer. You don't actually need the entire box. All you need is the sector shaft. Most CUCV'S are low milage, and your box case is most likely in much better shape than whatever 200,000+ Mile junkyard special you may find. Just pull the pitman off of the donor box, then remove the four bolts on the top cap. The entire cap assembly with sector shaft can just be pulled out the top of the box. Snap on CJ119B is a quality pitman arm puller. I normally harvest them from a pick-n-pull wrecking yard.
Thanks, I like the sound of that. Seems like it should be easier than I thought it would be

Chaski

What you have in the pic is a manual box- not a power steering box. Totally different animal.

I will add to my post from 2015-
The earlier Saginaw power steering boxes (pre 1980 ish) have inverted flare fittings for the hoses. All the newer ones (CUCVs) used metric. There are adapter fittings you can purchase, but it is easier to get a metric box. I am not positive of the changeover year- but it is around 80 or 81.

Also- if you were going to keep your old steering box and swap sector shafts to make it a 2wd box keep two things in mind.

1) There are two different types of 2wd sector shafts- fixed ratio and variable ratio. Fixed ratio sector shafts have 3 pinion teeth of identical size. Variable sector shafts have 3 pinion teeth, but the middle tooth is longer. You must match your existing box type with the new sector shaft. You cannot put a variable ratio sector shaft in a box with a standard (fixed) ratio piston or vise versa.

2) If you swap sector shafts you better follow the instructions in the TM or from Saginaw on adjusting it. Too tight and the box will eat itself. Too loose and you will have a bunch of play.

Saginaw800adj.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks