• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which antenna's for this mount?

shaneconnor

I have a 1992-M934A2 with the pictured antenna mount...

ant1.jpg

ant2.jpg

ant3.jpg

I don't know what antenna's, military surplus or commercial, would fit & work
with this type mount. I've got shortwave radios, CB's & scanners and would
ideally like a broad spectrum antenna, but if it can only be optimized for one
of my radio's, that's fine, too. I'm not interested in using it when mobile, but
only when truck is stationary, so a big whip or an antenna that is attached
only when parked is fine.

What are antenna options for this type mount (military surplus or commercial)
and where might I look to acquire?

Thanks for any suggestions.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Almost every single military antenna will fit that mount.

About the only ones that won't are the type you have the men in black show up if you try to transmit with.

As for military to civi conversion for cb, there's several threads out there on that.

Get the antenna whip and most swap meets. The base you have looks like an AS3900 which is used for SINCGARS. For specific technical details, you can go to the Shakespear antenna website and look at their selection but the one you have looks like a 3900.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like AS-3900 base. That is a newer generation 30 to 70 MHz antenna. Notice there's no band switching.

This antenna has been designed for ‘instantaneous bandwidth’ and performs equally bad on all frequencies" (found that statement somewhere).:???: It will work across it's intended bandwidth but not with good SWR anywhere (say 2:1 might be best). Gain is probably negative. I bought one last year and enjoyed playing with it. I fed it through an LDG Z-11 PRO automatic antenna tuner and used it on 10m and 6 m. Receive is no problem as most receivers have plenty of gain. Losing a portion of the transmit power is not too bad a trade off to gain wide bandwidth, if you are within the distance ranges intended for its use.

Where to find? Probably Google AS-3900.

Bob WB4ETT

M813A1

That could be a MX-6707 antenna base on your sugar scoop mount !! It will handle antenna bases like, AS-3900, AS-3919, AB-15, AB-652 etc. Just like CARNAC said it is a very adaptale mount for any antenna Base !! That MX-6707 base you have can work with the CB frequencies but you will need to do a little bit of tweaking the base to work for CB. Now if yu use the AB-15 Base then get the MS-118, MS-117 and a MS-116 antenna sections and put it together with the base and have the tip to base total length around 106 to 110 inches you will have a Good CB antenna.

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Antenna

ss member "combatsurplus" was giving them away as that is where I got mine!

He has the 2 piece long thick whip. I don't know the correct military nomenclature. He does not want to hassle with shipping so I sent him a 70 inch piece of 2 inch pvc pipe via usps with a label inside with the appropriate postage for the return ride. He slapped it in the tube and put the new label over the old and duct taped the ends and I got a cool "freebie".

He does ask you make a donation to a charitable organization for vets. See if he still has any via pm?

The antenna will be real long on top of your box but will work well while stationary. I have not been able to hook it up as I have not found yet the correct front fender bracket for my m923 so I don't know about the frequencies and what it will work on yet.

shaneconnor

Thank you everyone for comments and suggestions.

I'm still a little confused, which would be better, use that existing base, with proper
antenna tweaked for CB or get a commercial CB base/whip combo into this mount?

If commercial base/whip best, which would any suggest considering?

Thanks, again.

JH1

I see you as having two options, depending on what you want to do. If you want performance, put a 1/4" plate on top of the mount and install a commercial CB ball mount and 102" whip. Tilt down for travel. If you want it to look military, get a MX-6707 base and do the internal modifications (found elsewhere on the web). Screw in the whip sections that go with the MX-6707. Make sure the lower whip has a viable copper-bronze connection tab. Lots of them are broken off. The MX-6707 system is actually a vertical dipole, fed at the junction of the two whip sections by a small coax that travels up the center of the lower section. The reason for that is that the tuning will remain largely the same and predictable when the antenna is mounted on various vehicles. If they used a simple whip that worked against the metal body of the vehicle, the tuning would change all over the map, depending on what vehicle it was mounted on. The vertical dipole concept works the lower part (the ground side, if you will) against the top part, and is separate from the body of the vehicle. This concept will work fine if you rope it to a wood fence, too. No body needed and no ground plane needed. Dipoles work fine in free space.
Jim

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another option, get simple AB-15 or similar base (fits same mount), add MS-116, -117, or -118 sections cut for CB length, and get the best performance from a true military antenna with no internal mods to do.

ps: and that won't trash a good military antenna :D

Bob WB4ETT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks