• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which APC is Right for Me?

Austringer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i learned that the best type of tracked armor to have is one that belongs to a good friend that lets you play with it. I have a 1969 V100 Commando that is titled and tagged in the state of Georgia. It's a blast driving, just as easy as my dodge truck (considering a lot of the parts are Dodge (engine, clutch master and slave, brake master etc) it's easy to get parts for. She gets 3-5 mpg on the road and I'm going to try her on Aviation 100 LL that a friend just gave me. I have two 55 gal drums of it and got it for free since it was offload. That stuff will store forever.

smashcrashy

FV432 are "relatively" trivial to get and should fit the need well. Stormers and the like would also be good but more expensive.
M75 APC are pretty easy to find, they are bigger of course but should hit the M113 close if you want to scratch it.
British scorpion is a AFV not an APC but are also pretty available.
I know of a few M114 sitting on movie lots you could probably get but they'd need work.
If you have zero experience with armor I would get a Ferret as well (MK 2/3, you want the turret for the most fun, there is a MK1/2 up for sale right now for ~25k but I'd hold out for a MK2/3).
There is that oddball MK44 APC up for sale (looks like it needs some work) if you want a V-100 type vehicle.

teletech

What is everyone's opinion of the OT-64 SKOT? Its wheeled and within a decent price range.
I stood next to one and it was too big for me to feel like I could safely drive it around without a couple spotters. It felt more like a small building than an APC, of course it really isn't much bigger than a heavy truck but be sure to sit in one before buying.

datadawg

I stood next to one and it was too big for me to feel like I could safely drive it around without a couple spotters. It felt more like a small building than an APC, of course it really isn't much bigger than a heavy truck but be sure to sit in one before buying.
I may be wrong, but I think OT-64 is over-width. It's not like you are incognito driving it and if you are pulled over, they might slam you. If you have to get permits every time you want to drive it, it will get old fast.

Augdog1964

I stood outside of Prague, looking at T-72s to buy... they had a line of OT-64s almost new at the time. (This was 5 or more years ago). I asked what they wanted for one as it was new and I didn't know much about them (sorry, they had wheels)... the Czechs told me to run away... in very broken English "Designed by committee of idiots and over zealous engineers" They highly recommended BTR60s, but had NOTHING to say good about OTs, save the Tatra engine... "Tatra should have been allowed to design the whole vehicle, instead they just got the engine..." Use this info or disregard as you see fit... buyer beware.

dmetalmiki

What is everyone's opinion of the OT-64 SKOT? Its wheeled and within a decent price range.
That vehicle was my first choice. Right up until I viewed one and drove one. Nightmare! 3/4 of a % vision! More complicated controls than a 747, and a maintenance horror. They can not now be registered in the U.K. for road use, Or the E.U. as the width limitation is now 2.5 meters. One reason the CVRTs are popular. And the 432s that are currently registered are now quite rare, thus collectible. The reason I settled for the 432. And it has excellent presence and is fully road legal (chuffed to bits!).

Last edited:

datadawg

Another idea for usable armor is a halftrack. Quite a lot around, both Stateside and overseas and apparently US rules recently changed that you can import WWII lend-lease armor. You can find them restored or in project shape, so depending on budget, you can get the right machine. Because they have wheels upfront, they are easier to drive and own, but tracks in rear give them good off road prowess. Also, tracks used to be a problem to source, but now are being manufactured in Europe. Finally, being WWII armor, they are at top of the food chain, so collectability and resale power are high.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks