• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which APC's can stop .50 cal AP rounds ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kochevnik

I would be very interested to know WHICH of the LOWER-PRICED APC's / Tanks would have enough armor to stop .50 caliber Armor-piercing rounds ?

Maybe none of them ?

I'm thinking of the Ferret, M113/114, Saracen, FV432 etc.

Any of them ? None of them ?

From my reading, it takes at least an inch of steel armor plate to stop that round - so I would assume any of the Aluminium vehicles are out of the running.

Thx.

Alredneck

Banned
In their current state none.

The M113series have a add on armor package but slow them down. They are probably more readily available along with repair parts.

I would be worried about API and APHE rounds chewing through any of them, as they can much easier than old school AP rounds. Set stuff on fire in the aluminum chassis.

In a real world scenario you would probably be safer in any of them if someone was shooting at you. All have strengths and weaknesses.

In reality there isnt that many people out there who will or could be shooting you with a .50. And for those with the know a well placed shaped charge or IED would kill all the above as well.

badga the badger

a single armor pericing bullet fired from a M2 .50 cal can travel up to 6 miles and still puncher 2 inches of armor. what ever you go with, your most likely not going to stand up to any .50s.

davidkroberts

you also are talking about a round hitting at 90 degrees. yes a 50 cal has tons of penetrating potential but with the angled armor the chances of the round not penetrating or being deflected are greater.....

I rode around in a Saxon in Baghdad that I sure wouldnt want to be in when getting shot at with a dishka or 50 cal but its about as close as your going to get short of a tank.

I really dont like getting shot at in general but if i had to pick a reasonably priced vehicle it would be a Saxon.

jasonjc

The .50cal BMG was made as an anti-tank gun to start with. Back in the "The War to End All War's" WWI, and it is still in use to day. Got to love Ma Deuce.[thumbzup]

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Thank god some one said it , what good will this question do for the guys over seas right now? Why ask , just curious to know what they can do? Maybe the asker didnt mean anything by it but now if you Google it the towel heads will look on SS and see what a .50BMG round can do. - Jay

Last edited:

jasonjc

Thank god some one said it , what good will this question do for the guys over seas right now? Why ask , just curious to know what they can do? Maybe the asker didnt mean anything by it but not if you Google it the towel heads will look on SS and see what a .50BMG round can do. - Jay

Good point Jay, I hope no one tells them that all the new rounds come coated with pigs blood.

;)

steelandcanvas

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, if they can read this Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, they can find all that info and AND! more on the web! aua
God forbid they have the military channel. LOL
I mean come on this isn't Top secret stuff here.
:doh:
You need to understand that some of us may be a little sensitive about such information, even if there are other sources to find it.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Yes, some are. But all you need to do is compare what and how much armor and thickness is on a Ferret or some thing like that , then ask whats on a M113 or some thing that we still use and apply the knowledge.
Yeah you can find it mostly on the web AAAAhhhh but why should we help the bad guys on Steel Soldiers? Let them dig for it elsewhere , right?

Elwenil

Agreed. It does not matter if this info is available elsewhere, many of us would prefer it not be available here at SS. This is a place for us to swap stories, info and pics of MVs for our uses, not a place for people wishing harm to Allied troops to get info on how to do it. The last thing we want is for SS to become a security risk or a "one stop" place for people up to no good to come to find info. There may also be a rule against this information here but I'd have to check.

donttreadonmebmg

1. He wants to rob a bank and get away at 40 MPH and not get shot doing it. lol.
2. He wants to be a survivalist and wants a good TEOTWAWKI vehicle for him and his family.
3. He's actually a hajji looking for info.

my guess is #2. but not to worry he'll never do it. he's probably only about 18 years old.

:funny:

Flyingvan911

It is interesting to know what bullet will go through how much of what material. I also agree that in today's world it can be hazardous to put out specific info on the subject. Even if it is available from other sources, we don't want some soldier(s) losing there life from info coming from out site. It is a delicate balance.

I believe that armored vehicles are made partially based on the likelyhood of encountering different calibers of ammo. Most insurgents have AK type weapons and larger calibers are not likely to be carried by the average bad guy running through the streets. The guys inside the vehicle are playing the odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks