• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Deuce model would be considered a "best buy" for the money???

leeinmemphis

Hey everyone,

I've been a long term lurker here and have an M416 trailer that I have been putting together. I don't know why but I just want a Deuce. My wife thinks I'm nuts but for some reason I am really drawn to them. I am an avid kayaker so it would be great for hauling lots of gear for shuttling kayaks and stuff. I'm seeing prices that run the gamut but am looking for suggestions of what years/models you would consider more desirable than others? I think I would prefer a diesel multi fuel engine and something with power steering or one that can be added. On top of that I'm flexible. The truck will likely be used for kayak trips, camping trips, and various outdoor activities. May even drive it with the Jeep club every once in a while.

I guess what I'm asking is what would you consider as a good base point for a Deuce that's not a basket case? I'm not looking for something that I have to work on for a year to drive it but I do enjoy tinkering with stuff and I can already see that's real popular with these. :) .......I'ld love to do a bobbed truck but at this point I would say the structure of the truck would be left as is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

goldneagle

I would say that 90% of the Deuces out there have the multi-fuel powered engine. Cargo version M35A2. They do not come with real power steering unless they were modified by civilians. Most are manual steering. Some come with air-assist steering package. You can probably get one in good shape from a member on SS. They get listed in the classifieds all the time. Make sure the truck has clear title before buying it. Read the TM's and inspect it thoroughly before buying. Have a mechanic or someone that knows a lot about them look the truck over. Prices will range from $3500 to $10k depending on condition, installed options (winch, air assist steering, upgraded tires and rims, lockers). Choose wisely.

leeinmemphis

Thanks for the help. I also registered today on Govliquidation.com and have started looking on there. My big hesitation with that is I will have to purchase based on pictures and not seeing it in person. Is that how most everyone buys these? I am also trying to determine if it would be advisable to fly out and drive one home(say within a 500 mile range) or hiring a shipping company??

UNIMOG-GUY

Seeing as how this is your first potential purchase from govliquidation.com I would advise you to go and see the vehicle before you bid/purchase it. I got my first vehicle from them sight unseen (and trailered it home) but I wouldn't recommend it with anything larger than a CUCV. Some of the guys on here bid on vehicles sight unseen all the time but they also have the resources (a 925 or 936 for example) to tow a vehicle home if they had to. As for driving it home or hiring a shipping company. I think it depends on many things one of which is if you go and look over the truck before you bid. If you go and look it over you could possibly get away with driving it if you feel that it is in the condition to make the drive home. But then again how much are you going to know about a vehicle you've never owned before? Other than does it run, have what appears to be good tires, no leaks etc. My suggestion would be to take someone who has owned a similar type vehicle that you're considering bidding on. However the last thing I think you would want is to get half way home and then have a problem which then forces you to have it towed the remaining distance which could get very expensive. A 500 mile drive home isn't exactly where I would want to start finding out what problems the vehicle has if any. I would rather find out what problems a vehicle has at home instead of on an interstate with cars whipping by me at 75 mph.

Bidding on a vehicle sight unseen and then driving it home is like going to Vegas... It's gambling plain and simple.

pad_cdr

You must have some really big kayaks!! :eek:

Not sure you will find much on GL in the way of deuce and a halfs. Probably some M35A3s, but I think they are pretty well cleared out. Someone will let us know if I'm wrong about that.

GL might be a better source for a 5 ton M923 or M925. Whatever you get, if you are new to these sort of trucks, you would be better served buying it from someone here on Steel Soldiers.

I have purchased two trucks and a trailer from GL, and inspected them first. I also drove them for 20+ years in the military, and had a good idea what to look for.

Not sure I'd buy anything older than a 900 series from GL any more, M35s and M809 series left in unit hands have probably been beat to heck as well as not being maintained for a few years.

welldigger

You must have some really big kayaks!! :eek:

Not sure you will find much on GL in the way of deuce and a halfs. Probably some M35A3s, but I think they are pretty well cleared out. Someone will let us know if I'm wrong about that.

GL might be a better source for a 5 ton M923 or M925. Whatever you get, if you are new to these sort of trucks, you would be better served buying it from someone here on Steel Soldiers.

I have purchased two trucks and a trailer from GL, and inspected them first. I also drove them for 20+ years in the military, and had a good idea what to look for.

Not sure I'd buy anything older than a 900 series from GL any more, M35s and M809 series left in unit hands have probably been beat to heck as well as not being maintained for a few years.
Ditto