• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which generator/s for motorhome project?

jesusgatos

I've started designing the enclosure and floorplan for my new M103A3 trailer/workshop, and man, it's tight. The lack of space has got me looking into engine-driven generators.

I talked to the people at Real Power, but they're focused more on providing turnkey packages for late-model trucks and all their products rely on the engine's computer system to control the engine-speed. Their generator can't handle any variation in engine-speed, and a hand-throttle won't work because the engine-load changes according to how much load is put on the generator. They suggested that I contact Raven Technology. Pretty nice of them to send me to their competition, huh?

So I called Raven Technology and talked to Chris Tupper. He told me all about their Blackbird onboard power system. Have any of you guys seen this? Sounds really interesting. Their generator can handle inconsistent engine RPM's because it's got a clutch in it that keeps the generator spinning at a constant speed. It can be engine-mounted and belt-driven, or chassis-mounted and PTO-driven. The version they're selling right now is not design to be used while the vehicle is in motion, but they're working on a new version that will be OK to use while driving. That's not something I'm even really concerned about, but thought it was cool.

What else is out there, when it comes to engine-mounted generators?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks