• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which is the better power plant?

paradeduty

The only military vehicle that I have ever had that did not in some way "struggle" at a significant hill is The M1074 PLS with the Detroit 8V92TA 2-stroke w/ electronic controls. Trust me, I was very surprised at this - I just expected what I was used to. It is governed at 57-58 MPH, so I'm not talking flat out and the governed speed probably leaves the mill a little left over. The other thing that cannot be ignored is that this truck (53,000 lbs empty) was intended to haul 32,000 lbs and tow a total of 48,000 lbs. So, going uphill empty is probably not stressing the drivetrain!

Dave

DeuceNewb

cummins nhc250 vs 8.3 and a1 vs a2

before telling me to search, I did, read what i found but it was kind of old and not all that i was looking for.

I would like to know from people who have experience with both to chime in on the differences between the two. They put out close to the same horse power and the 8.3 has more torque correct?

How does the 8.3 compare to the 250 in its ability to keep the truck at speed while going uphill? I don't care as much about the time it takes to get to 55, but i hate the fact that my 250 feels like a deuce on a hill and still slows down. will the 8.3 be the same?

how about the fuel consumption? I would like to think that since the motor is almost half the size it should get better fuel mileage. What kind of mileage do you see in the 8.3 vs the 250?

how are they for reliability? which parts tend to be the most common wear issue for either motor, and are parts for either easily obtained? How about parts pricing?

I really like the thought of owning an a2 with ctis and a motor that hopefully could make it uphill easier and get better gas mileage.
I know ctis has it's problems, but it can always be deactivated and bypassed correct?

what else is different between the a1's and a2's. trying to make my mind up if i want to sell my a1 and pay the extra for the a2

350TacoZilla

I had pretty much same questions when I joined (you can look up threads I started and read through them if you want) what I gathered is the 8.3 is smoother motor so starts easier, less noise etc, its almost as powerful but it works harder to pull the weight around so mpgs are nearly same. I also found alot of people think out of 1,000's of nhc's you can find a few that run better than others as well as some that get better mpg then others, my A0 truck will run 55 all day long and hills barely faze it but that may be because of the shorter tires. I plan to do a turbo upgrade on the 855 and call it a day even after being bit by the 8.3 bug for same reasons you list (lighter ,better mpg). I also noticed out of 20 auctions for a 855 truck you will see 1 or 2 that dont run, but the newer 8.3 it seems 50/50 that dont run I'm not saying its a un-reliable motor but it seems you cant beat the old 14L for stone simple reliability.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not continue one of the threads you found searching, that way it would include more info and others will not need to find this thread to get the extra info?

GHall

I plan to do a turbo upgrade on the 855 and call it a day even after being bit by the 8.3 bug for same reasons you list (lighter ,better mpg). I also noticed out of 20 auctions for a 855 truck you will see 1 or 2 that dont run, but the newer 8.3 it seems 50/50 that dont run I'm not saying its a un-reliable motor but it seems you cant beat the old 14L for stone simple reliability.
Agreed..

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have the 8.3 in the M927 and I love it. You can hear yourself think in the cab at speed and it is fairly peppy when the truck is empty. Parts are available at NAPA or Fleetpride and are reasonable. It's also easier to find a mechanic that can work on it.......it takes an old school guy to work on a 250. One of the reasons I got rid of my M816 wrecker was not being able to get parts or a mechanic.
Loaded it is just like any other MV......slow on the road and real slow on hills. It's just something you have to live with.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not continue one of the threads you found searching, that way it would include more info and others will not need to find this thread to get the extra info?

chadande

I can't believe how smooth and quiet the 8.3 in my A2 is. Starts good without ether in the cold too.
It feels like driving a dragster compared to my Duece. :twisted:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nevermind, I did it for you.

joesco

So,if I understand your post, my M931's Cummings 250 can be upgraded with a turbo, so I hope to add Super Singles after the bob is done and if I add a turbo upgrade to the engine, would I have the equivalent of and M931A2???

Thanks!

I have the 8.3 in the M927 and I love it. You can hear yourself think in the cab at speed and it is fairly peppy when the truck is empty. Parts are available at NAPA or Fleetpride and are reasonable. It's also easier to find a mechanic that can work on it.......it takes an old school guy to work on a 250. One of the reasons I got rid of my M816 wrecker was not being able to get parts or a mechanic.
Loaded it is just like any other MV......slow on the road and real slow on hills. It's just something you have to live with.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 800's and 900's are very different trucks. The 800 is bare bones, just enough to get the job done. The 900's are more ergo friendly- They have bigger cabs, sound proofing, auto's and air brakes.
If I owned a 900, I would prolly drive it more- just a more comfortable ride.
However- nothing is like a 800 that is driven properly-you can hear me coming for miles and miles and miles............And I have logged some serious road time in my M814.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
One can easily "turn up the wick" on a 8.3 as well. With nothing more than a screwdriver. The 8.3 has a turbo so it's a little more forgiving in that department as well. (Can compensate for more fuel unlike the NA'ed NHC 250)

As someone who had a nearly 500hp RWHP 5.9 cummins powered pickup. It's very easy to get power out of them. The 8.3 is a "scaled up" version of the B series engine. However, if you're going to go down this path, you MUST tune the engine properly. Otherwise you'll have excessive EGT's that can lead to engine damage. A boost gauge and Pyrometer are a must.

mattwspeed

Drew... wish I would have read this thread before the cookout!... I would have brought you a screw driver and let ya turn up the crew cab!... I need to get with ya and help me roll some coal out of this crew cab... nothing serious as far as HP just wanna piss off the tree huggers when I mat it!

mattwspeed

How many Prius drivers do you think really consider buying an MV??? It was a joke brother! Gimme a break! PS... my truck gaines support for the hobby where ever it goes! black clouds of smoke would only add to that effect here in GA...

tamangel

me for one.. but run on WVO or at least Bio-D..maybe if turned up..I would inundate folks with the smell of french fries..

sounds like its not a joke in GA...hope wind is blowing east..

Mike W

TMNT

And it was a funny joke. I'm not in favor of being destructive to the environment but some Prius drivers get a little self righteous about it. Never mind that the Prius is actually coal powered and loaded with toxic batteries that will eventually be disposed of somehow. They'll probably ship them back to Japan who will probably dump them in the ocean along with everything else they dump in the ocean.

I saw a dually pickup with stacks that had "Prius Repellant" printed on the stacks and rolled some coal, too.

I'd love to see Infidel rolling coal and hauling down the road.

mattwspeed

HAHA.. "Prius Repellant" love it!... There's probably more pot smoke coming from Cali then all the coal rollers in the south combined!.. We got our smoke, they got theirs!.. Thanks for driving a Prius and saving the ozone.... Makes me feel much better to know we cancel each other out.. im mean, the eco system is a balance!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks