• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which paint and which codes/colors?

ryker725

My deuce is the standard woodland camo (see profile pic). I've been reading older threads about using Sherman Williams CARC paints vs Rapco.

I will be repainting the truck after I complete all the minor rust repairs. Should be ready to paint in by late spring.

What is the experiences you've had with the paints mentioned? I've read that Rapco is less hazardous and easier to use (sounds like something in the plus category already). Exactly how difficult is the SW CARC paint to use? I spoke to an area SW distributor the other day and he said he can get whatever I need, but he needs the codes.

I am looking to see which colors or paint codes in each brand I will need to order to go back with the same colors I currently have. If anyone has the SW codes or the Rapco colors on hand that would be great..

Jones

The color codes are standard FS-595b codes. They apply regardless of the brand. Green is 34094, brown is 30051, black is 37030 and desert tan is 33446. If you're shooting the four color camo, the earth-tone will be whatever matches your local color (dirt) the closest.

CARC is pretty close to bullet-proof (just ask anybody who's tried to remove it) but it's drawbacks are;
Epoxy-like reaction (two-part reacts with it's catalyst, one part reacts with moisture in the air) makes for limited time to apply.
Uncured vapors will "set-up" inside you if you breath them.
Application and clean-up have some special considerations to be aware of.
Sanding or grinding raises dust which is also hazardous because of the heavy particulates released (ground quartz, chromium oxide, cobalt chromite, etc.).

Non-CARC paints' drawbacks are; "It's not real CARC" (Purist's lament).
May fade more than CARC, depending on brand.
May not be as durable, depending on brand
May not hold true to the FS-595b color code.
>There's something about CARC's "non-photoreactive" nature that makes it almost impossible to scan, unlike most paint colors, when trying to match them in your local paint store.
I took a sample of CARC to my local SW Industrial Coatings shop because I wanted a non-CARC alternative to rattle can onto small parts that would be installed inside the cab. They eventually had to mix the color by eye because their own SW scanner couldn't analyze the color it was seeing.<

Hope the attached pages help.

Attachments

mcmullag

paint

just posting this in case it helps. I went on the advice of Bulldogmack13, he has painted quite a few military trucks in his driveway and they look great. I started two days ago on my deuce, putting on some of the paint I obtained from RAPCO parts company in TX, but weather is not cooperating. I am using spray cans for a 3 color woodland camo deal.
Per advice, I bought 24 cans of green, 12 cans of brown, and use the flat black rustoleum enamel obtained at wallyworld or loews or home depot, etc.
The paint numbers are: green 383 and brown 383.
I really like the way the paint is going on, it seems to have an epoxy like quality to it. Attached is a pic of bulldogmack's M813 he did this way. Hope you dont mind me posting your info Jay. Hurry up and get back to the Springs so you can help me with all the detailing stenciling and such.

Attachments

Heavysteven

The Rapco is a close match. The green has a shine to it. The brown is a little lighter. Good for touch I think. My conclusion is that it's hard to replicate CARC, it's an excellent paint.

It's really a matter of cost I think.

Dodge man

I don't THINK the RAPCO and other "industrial" paints have UV inhibitors in them so they will fade in a year or two if left out in the sun. (somebody correct me if I'm wrong!) Automotive paints do have UV inhibitors in them and will last much longer in the sun but costs about 3 to 4 times as much as industrial paint.

Jones

Touching up CARC with any non-CARC paint will leave areas that'll fade and become more noticable with time. One well-known brand in rattle cans was notorous for turning pink after a few years.
Although not a big concern for us stateside MV operators; anything not CARC will stand out like a fish in a tree when viewed with night vision devices.

Not sure about best prices for CARC these days-- anybody want to chime in here?

ryker725

I called my SW distributor just mow and he tells me he cannot quote me CARC paints with those numbers. He tells me that the mil-spec paints have mil-??? or some other military designation in front of the paint code.

Am I asking for the right paints?

The SW 2 part CARC goes on so great that I think it is a better value. It is hard to do a dollar to dollar, or gallon to gallon comparison. The different types of paint cover different and have different amounts of loss. In both issues, I find the SW CARC to be much better.

ryker725

Ok, I got the right information to him finally. Price quote is $150 per gallon with a 4 gallon PER COLOR minimum per order. If I only need a half gallon of brown and black, I would need to order 4 gallons of each according to the distributor.

For those who bought SW paints before, does this sound correct? It sure seems like he could order me 2 - 3 gallons of the green and a gallon each of the brown and black for that price..

flyxpl

Ok, I got the right information to him finally. Price quote is $150 per gallon with a 4 gallon PER COLOR minimum per order. If I only need a half gallon of brown and black, I would need to order 4 gallons of each according to the distributor.

For those who bought SW paints before, does this sound correct? It sure seems like he could order me 2 - 3 gallons of the green and a gallon each of the brown and black for that price..
Was this for the two part CARC ? You should have color and activator . Just the activator for the two part system is about $100

Last time I bought I was able to buy just what I wanted. It was 2 to 1 so I got 2 gallons of part A and 1 gallon of part B, enough to make 3 gallons total. It was about $280 total, if I rember correctly. But I would have to look it up to be sure.

ranchhopper

I always use CARC on my trucks its easy to use like anything else you just need to use caution when painting with it. Have a good resperator wear rubber gloves some even wear tyvek suits I never opted to use them and after painting 12 trucks Im still here and semi coherent. I have eleven gallons of 383 green here PM me if you need some its a fresh batch bought a few months ago I can ship it out .

ryker725

I was quoted on the following:

MIL-DTL-64159 Type II

Type II CARC coatings are two component waterborne polyurethane chemical agent resistant coatings (CARC) for military equipment. Meets the performance and composition of the MIL-DTL-64159 Type II specification.

3 Color Woodland Camo

F93G504 - Green
F93B505 - Black
F93N505 - Brown

ryker725

The salesman did not seem at all knowledgeable of this type of coating. He did not mention whether or not the activator was included in this price.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks