• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which paint gun

Scarecrow1

Im no expert but iI have used both on many refinishing jobs. The can or normal spray gun uses a lot of air pressure to draw the paint up out of the can causing a lot of over spray . The hvlp High volume low pressure sprayer is just that, it can move a lot of paint to the surface with around 12 pounds of pressure with little over spray. The can has to use between 30 and 60 to get a steady spray. I personaly don't use anything other than the HVLP and it never let me down . But make sure you take it apart and clean every little part . yes it matters and leave some thinner in the gun at all times to keep the seals wet .

I have run into some problems with the HVLP because the paint is to thick. I use CARP paint Shierwin Williams water base. I followed the instructions and talked to the guys at the paint booth who spry this things all the time. They say to use a larger volume tip. The thing is I cant remember the tip size. I used to spray cars in my younger years with the Binks 2000, Bink model 7 and Devalous or something that I cant remember how to spell the dam thing. But anyway spraying this miltary spec paint is ugly.

ida34

I have not had problems with spraying moisture cure carc with a 1.8MM tip cheap HF HVLP gun. I use the 1.4MM tip for the Gillespie. The 1.8mm tip is mostly used for primer but with all the solids in carc the 1.8mm works good for me.

rlwm211

I sprayed probably 100 gallons of Centauri acrrylic enamel with a binks #7 (siphon feed design) in the good old days and that setup seemed to work ok. Nowadays. pains is MUCH MORE expensive and solvent based paint is being phased out. Also most pigment materials are thicker as well.

I switched to an HVLP and after some learning and some practice I am very confident with the gun. There is a screen in the base where the cup mounts and I believe you can get screens of different sizes for different materials. I took mine out to be honest and can spray raw LATEX house paint if I want to. There is not much that is as heavy as that.

One piece of advice I will give is to use a mini-reguilator on the base of the gun and run high pressure to your gun. This will reduce the pressure drop when you pull the trigger. If you run low pressure through a long hose, the drop can be 20#, perhaps more. I run typically at least 60 feet of hose and often 120 and have no problems.

Just my two cents

RL

Bill W

You can use either type of sprayers as your only concern should be tip size., I'm no expert but with gillespie I personally would not use anything less then a 1.8 tip being Gillespie is a high solids paint. You can use a smaller tip sprayer but you would have to thin the paint way more then recommended. I used a remote 2qt sprayer from harbor freight on the 3 trucks I painted with Gillespie and was very happy with the results but then again Gillespie is a very forgiving paint.
P.S. I to put on a small valve at the base of the gun

Attachments

Last edited:

GoHot229

Being igmo about Cans, and wanting to paint the Deuce over, all the Bodywork's done, I want to use a can and spray relativly thick, as opposed to thined out paint. With a Lowes (less than $100) can, what tip am I wanting to use, to be able to push the paint and apply as thick as practical, ie. the original re-paint look on most MV's where it almost looks brushed on

ctmustang

I just finished painting my deuce with 24087 and it turned out great. I bought a gun at lowe's the kobalt siphon fed with 1.8mm tip. It worked fine with the gillespie at a 4-1 ratio. I figured out that the warmer the temp the thicker coat you can spray. I used at the gun 25 psi and it worked fine without too much overspray. I used xylene thinner. ended up putting 3-4 coats on everything.
Good Luck C.T.

zout

Loved the smell of that Centauri paint in the ole days - smelled like candy.
use to air brush using lace from a fabric store onto choppers - lacquer paints

I just use an old devilbiss gun and have the set of hvlp guns (3) been shooting the bed liner coating (very thick material) from the devilbiss with primer tips.

Nonotagain

Being igmo about Cans, and wanting to paint the Deuce over, all the Bodywork's done, I want to use a can and spray relativly thick, as opposed to thined out paint. With a Lowes (less than $100) can, what tip am I wanting to use, to be able to push the paint and apply as thick as practical, ie. the original re-paint look on most MV's where it almost looks brushed on
A 1.7, 1.8, or a 1.9mm diameter tip will work.

Depending on the type of spray gun purchased, gravity feed, pressure feed or suction feed, will dictate just how much paint you gun will be able to atomize.

I can't speak for application of Gillespie, but CARC from Hentzen, or Sherwin Williams in the single component flavor of Mil-Dtl-53039 is fairly thick right from the container measuring 30-35 seconds using a #4 Ford viscosity cup.

If you really want that heavy spattered look, crank up the air pressure on the gun, back the needle out until when fully open there is no drag on the trigger, move the spray gun back 12-15 inches from the part and move like hell.

Not my idea of a paint job that I would be proud of, but to each his or her own.

Stalwart

I've always loved the Binks model 7, I have used the cheapy HVLP with remote pot with good results. I'm looking forward to cranking up my 2 Graco electrostatic paint guns for my next project, especially when painting the interior of the vehicle.

clpo

Thanks all for the imput. Ctmustang, I looked the the Kobalt gun this weekend. You say you were pleased with the result? Any other input is appreciated.

thanks,
CP

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks