• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Relay??

southdave

I am kind of stumped.. I start the truck, generator ga. is on the yellow/ green line. Goose the eng. to get rev up gen light climbs a bit. 3.5 min I hear click and the gen. ga jump to green/red ??? I am making 29.5 volts at the rear bus
front battery and alt are reading allittle high the others are good??? The clicking noise changes my Idle too..

gvaneck

Sounds like your glow plug relay is staying on too long possibly? Could that be it, check voltage at the bottom lug of glow plug relay when it does this

Wolf.Dose

If it should be your glow plug relay, replace it or your glow plugs sooner or later will be shot. Replacement might become a nightmare. The computer card of the glow plug controll is NOT made for longer actuation and will give up its limited live soon.
Wolf

southdave

Yeah, wolf I am trying to head that off, I think I have smoked them already (glow plugs).... I did swap relays for the ST 85 one thats when my problem began. I have been more concern with my alt over charging I have some wierd reading with the volt meter ect.. 13.9 on my front battery and 15.65 on my rear. Note I moved my Batteries to the inside rear of the the 1009 to accomodate a turbo and fuel filter rack ect.. I think I just have batts. that need to equalize??

Attachments

Last edited:

Barrman

I agree it is a load somewhere on the system. However, it could very possibly be a bad voltage regulator as well on one of the alternators. I think it is glow plug related, but just wanted to mention what to check next if you find everything ok.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you moved the batteries to the rear, how did you wire them up? Is each battery wired to its own alternator like the stock setup?

southdave

Since you moved the batteries to the rear, how did you wire them up? Is each battery wired to its own alternator like the stock setup?
Maybe thats it.. I just hook the bat. leads to the rear bus bar in the 1009 similar to the front . I left the wires from the alt where they where. the neg from 12v side of bat. set was ground to the old radio bracket mount @ the floor. the pos. side of the battery set, ( I got billy with it) I used 6 ga wire from a set of jumper cables, It cheaper to buy then 16 ft of 6ga, wire, to the 12v thingy on the fire wall. yeah I splice in the fuse..

I just figured I was just making a set battery cables, was wrong in this thought? Maybe I need to mactch the lugs from fron to back? figured it all dumping in so it didn't matter?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks