• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Starter should I buy?

Ryanm1009

hey guys, Ive been having some troubles with starters lately and i cant seem to find the right one. I recently killed my stock unit and ordered a replacement from DB electrical part number SNK0033. I bolted that sucker on there with no shims, the stock bolts and extra little stud brace thingy on the block. It worked perfectly for about 10 starts then died on me. I shipped it back and DB electrical shipped a replacement unit. I bolted that on, but when i went to start it, it didnt engage the motor and made a horrible grinding noise. I had my mechanic look at it and he told me that it wasnt the right starter for the truck! any recommendation on what to do? Anyone know of any other starters with part numbers that will 100% work?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always recommend that you have the original direct drive starter rebuilt. Most of the gear reduction starters that are out there now are Made in China and the quality is just not up to par.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had a chinese gear reduction starter on my now SECM for a few years. It has worked flawlessly. I got it off ebay but it's been so long, I can't recall the seller.

Ryanm1009

Does anyone have the part number for the OE starter? Or if you have a DB starter, what's your part number?The rep at DB electrical asked me to find it so he can make sure I'm getting the right one

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From various parts manuals:

direct drive MT27 - GM 1113591
dd support bracket - GM 14028931
gear reduction MT28 - GM 10479611
gr support bracket - GM 23502557
starter bolt - GM 15544950

Wildchild467

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you found a gear drive starter that uses a Nippondenso motor, that would be a good quality unit. I have one in my hot rod for about 8 years and about 80,000 miles on it and it has worked great.

Ryanm1009

Hey guys, got another DB electrical starter, part number snk0033. It's the same deal with this one. It's contacting the transmission at two points on the cone and its holding up ther starter from sliding in all the way. The page on DB says that it's a direct replacement for part number 10479611. I'm really lost now

cucvrus

You can send a 12 volt direct drive starter to a re-builder and have it rebuilt as a 24 volt. I have done it many times. I prefer the direct drive starter. I have used both with out incident. I had a HMMWV starter I could not get it to fit on the CUCV. It was to big and if I remember correctly there were other issues. That has been a while but it did not fit.

dstang97

I have never seen a "kit" but any starter rebuild company should be able to order parts for it. If you guys are having problems finding people pm me. I can send you to the guy that fixes all my stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks