• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which states are not HMMWV friendly?

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try to meet with Desantis!
I thought about writing Gov. Desantis a very polite letter about his rouge DMV I experienced when I attempted to register mine that came street legal and registered in another state. Long story, but basically the DMV invalidated my title for me.

But then I thought with all the corruption in the Federal level, if that I met with at the State DMV office that seemed like he wanted to screw me over even more, would be part of some inquiry. He seemed so enthralled with power that he might come back at me for payback. Yeah, I don't think this corruption seeped into Florida, but he seem the vindictive type and not a public servant.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmurphy001

Iowa is a no. The county office has instructions on how to do it but the state refused to accept the transfer letter that accompanies the SF-97. Iowa also requires an FMVSS decal. So that would probably be the next reason they refuse. There are HMMWV’s licensed in the state probably before the FMVSS rule.

A few hours drive to Union County South Dakota and problem fixed. South Dakota says you can do it all through the mail but the SF-97 is so hard to get in the first place I personally don’t like the risk of attempting to do it through the mail. Also, there would have been some back and forth with additional documents that had to be filled out they don’t mention when you call them. The oddball need for your SSN card and you will also pay title late fees (due to govplanet’s slowness) and 4% tax even though you already paid it. Don’t argue, just bend over, smile and say thank you. Allowing out of state registrations is their money making business model. Very smart if you ask me. Lots of tax revenue for very little effort. Also, you won’t get a 17 digit VIN. But you will walk out with a license plate you renew online and I assume a clean title will arrive through the mail at some point. Make sure they understand it is a pickup truck with a bed in the back even though it may have a slant back “topper” on it. It is also a great state to take a vacation in so you can double dip while you are there.

GTUnit

I thought about writing Gov. Desantis a very polite letter about his rouge DMV I experienced when I attempted to register mine that came street legal and registered in another state. Long story, but basically the DMV invalidated my title for me.

But then I thought with all the corruption in the Federal level, if that I met with at the State DMV office that seemed like he wanted to screw me over even more, would be part of some inquiry. He seemed so enthralled with power that he might come back at me for payback. Yeah, I don't think this corruption seeped into Florida, but he seem the vindictive type and not a public servant.
Everyone in FL should write DeSantis. He would definitely fix this. He is 100% against authoritarian BS. Just need to make enough noise to put it on his radar. Start a petition. Get Cletus McFarland on it. He can get a million signatures.

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Everyone in FL should write DeSantis. He would definitely fix this. He is 100% against authoritarian BS. Just need to make enough noise to put it on his radar. Start a petition. Get Cletus McFarland on it. He can get a million signatures.
I did have another thought on how to appeal to our fantastic governor that won't look like a whiner's complaint. I replaced my TH400 with a 4L80e and I donated the TH400 to a group of vets that restore Humvees locally. They do it as therapy for disabled vets! Their problem is the same - they cannot get the restored HUMVEEs registered, even under Military Historic plates since the F*ckin buerocrats won't let you register anything as military historic plates if you change the tires, touch up paint, do an alignment, stop oil leaks, wash'en or vacuum'em! What a load of cr@p!

Being a vet himself, he actually might do something for them!

Bobert

Iowa is a no. The county office has instructions on how to do it but the state refused to accept the transfer letter that accompanies the SF-97. Iowa also requires an FMVSS decal. So that would probably be the next reason they refuse. There are HMMWV’s licensed in the state probably before the FMVSS rule.

A few hours drive to Union County South Dakota and problem fixed. South Dakota says you can do it all through the mail but the SF-97 is so hard to get in the first place I personally don’t like the risk of attempting to do it through the mail. Also, there would have been some back and forth with additional documents that had to be filled out they don’t mention when you call them. The oddball need for your SSN card and you will also pay title late fees (due to govplanet’s slowness) and 4% tax even though you already paid it. Don’t argue, just bend over, smile and say thank you. Allowing out of state registrations is their money making business model. Very smart if you ask me. Lots of tax revenue for very little effort. Also, you won’t get a 17 digit VIN. But you will walk out with a license plate you renew online and I assume a clean title will arrive through the mail at some point. Make sure they understand it is a pickup truck with a bed in the back even though it may have a slant back “topper” on it. It is also a great state to take a vacation in so you can double dip while you are there.
Don't try and use the SF97 in Iowa. It won't work and will just confuse them. You can just get a bonded title. There is a form to fill out to get around the fmvss sticker thing.

Gastrap

Don't try and use the SF97 in Iowa. It won't work and will just confuse them. You can just get a bonded title. There is a form to fill out to get around the fmvss sticker thing.
Correct, I've done a few bonded titles, Iowa has never recognized the SF97. Form 411187 will cover the FMVSS requirements. I've been told by DOT current processing times are 5 to 8 months, my last one was only 4 weeks.

Edited to add that the 5 to 8 month estimated time on my application in process came back approved in just 3 months, then another week to get the title after sending the bond in.

Last edited:

sue

Correct, I've done a few bonded titles, Iowa has never recognized the SF97. Form 411187 will cover the FMVSS requirements. I've been told by DOT current processing times are 5 to 8 months, my last one was only 4 weeks.
Oklahoma is good, sorry can’t answer your question about bad states.

mmurphy001

How much does the bond cost? If you have a vehicle that you paid $10K for it looks like you need a $15K bond. So either you are unable to use that amount for 3 years or you pay someone else to do that. I'm sure that comes at a cost. Just curious as to how much it would cost to go down that path. I might end up getting another vehicle some day.

Gastrap

How much does the bond cost? If you have a vehicle that you paid $10K for it looks like you need a $15K bond. So either you are unable to use that amount for 3 years or you pay someone else to do that. I'm sure that comes at a cost. Just curious as to how much it would cost to go down that path. I might end up getting another vehicle some day.
My last bond was about $130 through State Farm for $8400.

Last edited:

gtodan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bonded my 1991 M998 thru SuretyBonds.com in Missouri. It cost me $100 but I paid 4500 for the vehicle.

OneShot0311

Any one have insight into registering in New Hampshire? Salem DMV or preferred locations?
Did you end up getting yours registered and what year is it? I just pick up a 2009 and trying to figure the same thing out.

I know people in NH that have registered them but they where older 1989ish. Old year ones can be but not sure about newer year ones yet.

BLinn

Did you end up getting yours registered and what year is it? I just pick up a 2009 and trying to figure the same thing out.

I know people in NH that have registered them but they where older 1989ish. Old year ones can be but not sure about newer year ones yet.
I have a ‘94 M998 and unfortunately I haven’t pushed too hard on the registration yet. Looking to get that done this week. Had to make too many repairs recently. Limited time and weather conditions. Finally getting heat into it this week too. Should be a blast to take to the ski hills.

OneShot0311

I have a ‘94 M998 and unfortunately I haven’t pushed too hard on the registration yet. Looking to get that done this week. Had to make too many repairs recently. Limited time and weather conditions. Finally getting heat into it this week too. Should be a blast to take to the ski hills.
Thanks, I do not think you will have much issues, looking at the NH DMV site anything before 2000 seems to not even need a tile to register it. I am just hoping I get slip this through somehow.

(k) Any motor vehicle whose manufacturer's model year is before the year 2000, except heavy trucks and truck-tractors whose gross vehicle weight exceeds 18,000 pounds.

spankybear

Washington State sent out a letter a few years back telling licensing offices not to process military vehicles unless they had proof of an FMVSS decal on them.
Nothing in the laws actually says they can't, it's just some bureaucrat at the state level trying to flex their muscles or something.
It all comes down to the person behind the counter. There are several offices around that will do the paperwork no problem. A lot of other offices that have no clue so either give out false info (like requiring a State Patrol inspection first) or just flat out won't touch them.

(my favorite part is the section in the FMVSS where it states these vehicles are specifically exempt from meeting the FMVSS guidelines.)
bric-a-brac

Let them spot the spelling mistake...

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks