• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which states are not HMMWV friendly?

BLinn

Thanks, I do not think you will have much issues, looking at the NH DMV site anything before 2000 seems to not even need a tile to register it. I am just hoping I get slip this through somehow.

(k) Any motor vehicle whose manufacturer's model year is before the year 2000, except heavy trucks and truck-tractors whose gross vehicle weight exceeds 18,000 pounds.

went to the town clerk and registered yesterday. Seamless and pleasant experience. NH is far easier than I anticipated.

cahilj

Kansas is good to go.

The state won't take an SF-97 (since July 2023), only a full title. It needs to be registered as a "Special Interest" vehicle (per H.B. 2014/S.B. 18 in 2021). If you don't already have the KS collector's license, it's a one time $20 fee. It needs to be that way because it's not a standard VIN, and they don't issue VINs.

Reactions: 98G

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kansas is good to go.

The state won't take an SF-97 (since July 2023), only a full title. It needs to be registered as a "Special Interest" vehicle (per H.B. 2014/S.B. 18 in 2021). If you don't already have the KS collector's license, it's a one time $20 fee. It needs to be that way because it's not a standard VIN, and they don't issue VINs.
Welcome to the SS forums!!

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a suggestion. Maybe the moderators can create a sticky with a table of states and status of Friendly, Unfriendly or Undetermined?

byrdman1312

Has anyone tried to register and Gamagoat in TN. I have one that someday I hope to drive. I understand that I can get a title with my bill of sale and Form 97, but need to put tags on it soon after I get the title. I wonder if I should get the title now while I can? It's up to me when I want to get tags for it, I think.
On the subject of titles, I own a 2003 F-250, the title says F-350. I wondered if I had someone elses title, but the VIN is correct. Whoever typed the title should have used some "Kentucky windage" on the keyboard. Aimed ai the 1 to hit the 2. Ha Ha!

KN6KXR

CA is definitely unfriendly. So much that for awhile they basically thought ALL former MV's were HMMWV and made it very hard to get plates for anything (like my M936A2).

Things have gotten a little better they issued a newer VIN (vehicle industry news it's a guidance documant for the CA DMV)) letter that softened the language. I've gotten titles for a couple trailers with SF97's and my '66 M35 sailed through the process with a Utah title.

I'm assuming somebody litigated them. It's the only way stuff changes in this state.

biscuitwhistler37

You can register them in Michigan, but for off road use only. Currently there's legislation in motion to change that, though I'm not sure what it entails, and I have read that you can get a permit to operate off road vehicles on road, but haven't actually looked into it yet

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you go to this website they claim to be able to register it in Montana and be street legal in any state without actually residing in Montana.
Any vehicle registered in any state, can be driven in any other. Getting it licensed is the easy part, getting it insured is tougher. Probably the most common state tag for humvees is Montana.

You can save yourself some money and fill out and file all the forms yourself. All the forms are available on-line.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any vehicle registered in any state, can be driven in any other. Getting it licensed is the easy part, getting it insured is tougher. Probably the most common state tag for humvees is Montana.

You can save yourself some money and fill out and file all the forms yourself. All the forms are available on-line.
The most common rule is any vehicle can be driven in any other state by a driver licensed and a resident of the state the vehicle is legally registered in (reciprocal agreements), a driver licensed and a resident of a state that is driving a "prohibited" vehicle registered in another state is generally seen as illegally bypassing the law.
Many insurance companies will say they don't care because selling "unenforceable" insurance is 100% profit with no chance of loss.
States do not prohibit vehicles so their residents can simply bypass the prohibition by registering the vehicle in a different state.
I am not an attorney so this advice is unenforceable. :ROFLMAO:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks