• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tag in FL?

Which Tag Should I Get?

• Horseless Carriage

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Antique

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm getting ready to get my tag (as soon as the title shows up) and I need to decide which tag; Horseless Carriage or Antique. My wife thinks I should go with the HC because you don't see many of those.

It looks like the usage is the same for each and other than having to send the paper work to Tallahassee for the HC, I don't see a big deal one way or the other.

I'm including a poll so I can see what would be the favorite choice. Comments are welcome also.

I for got to say what I have, Sorry. The truck is a 1970 M35A2.

Last edited:

Ruppster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.hillstax.org/motor/forms/83140.pdf

G. The registration of an automobile or truck defined as "ancient" (the vehicle was manufactured in 1945 or earlier) or "antique" (the vehicle was manufactured beginning 1946 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture), pursuant to s. 320.086(1) or (2), Florida Statutes.
On another note doesn't Florida offer a special low price tag for ex-military trucks that does away with having to pay extra for large heavy trucks? That's assuming you are asking about a military vehicle since this is a military vehicle site. :grin:

Added:
A couple weeks ago I checked in to antique tags in Florida for my old semi truck (civilian type) and found out a couple things. The key item is that Florida has two different types of antique tags, a permanent tag and a yearly tag. The problem is the weight of the vehicle limits which type you can get. If your vehicle is less the 5,000 pounds empty (not GVWR) you can get either one. The permanent antique tag limits your use of the vehicle to things like shows and parades. The annual antique tags have no restriction and you can drive the vehicle as much as you want. If your truck is over 5,000 pounds (empty) you can not get the permanent tags, only the annual one. With a vehicle over 5,000 pounds when you get the annual antique tag you have to pay the fees based on registered weight (i.e. weighted tag). This is how much you want to be able to haul with the truck, including the weight of any trailers with cargo you may pull with it every now and then. To add insult to injury from what I was told not only do you pay based on weight you also have to pay for the antique plate itself. In other words an antique plate on a truck over 5,000 pounds will cost you a few bucks more then a regular plate for that weight vehicle. But as far as I know this is only if it's a civilian truck. I'm prety sure there is a special class with a lower fee if the truck in question is an ex-military vehicle.

Ruppster

Last edited:

tvoss

Yes, it's the yearly antique truck tag instead of the permanent antique tag. It is $10.25 a year plus fees, which makes it around $39.

phil2968

The 2009 Florida Statutes

Title XXIII
MOTOR VEHICLESChapter 320
MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSES[SIZE=-1]320.086 Ancient or antique motor vehicles; horseless carriage, antique, or historical license plates; former military vehicles.-- [/SIZE]

(1) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured in 1945 or earlier, equipped with an engine manufactured in 1945 or earlier or manufactured to the specifications of the original engine, and operated on the streets and highways of this state shall, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax for an ancient motor vehicle prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. The license plate shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal so long as the vehicle is in existence. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay such fee for the issuance of the special license plate as may be prescribed by the department commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Horseless Carriage No. 1," and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. (2)(a) The owner of a motor vehicle for private use manufactured after 1945 and of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, equipped with an engine of the age of 30 years or more after the date of manufacture, and operated on the streets and highways of this state may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(1)(d), (2)(a), or (3)(e), be issued a special license plate for such motor vehicle. In addition to the payment of all other fees required by law, the applicant shall pay the fee for the issuance of the special license plate prescribed by the department, commensurate with the cost of its manufacture. The registration numbers and special license plates assigned to such motor vehicles shall run in a separate numerical series, commencing with "Antique No. 1," and the plates shall be of a distinguishing color. The owner of the motor vehicle may, upon application and payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08, be issued a regular Florida license plate or specialty license plate in lieu of the special "Antique" license plate.

(3) The owner of an ancient or antique firefighting apparatus, former military vehicle, or other historical motor vehicle 30 years old or older which is used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display may, upon application in the manner and at the time prescribed by the department and upon payment of the license tax prescribed by s. 320.08(2)(a), be issued a license plate as prescribed in subsection (1) or subsection (2). License plates issued under this subsection shall be permanent and valid for use without renewal as long as the vehicle is in existence and its use is consistent with this subsection.

You can get either one, Mv's qualify for both. Just to define an MV........

(6) For purposes of this section, "former military vehicle" means a vehicle, including a trailer, regardless of the vehicle's size, weight, or year of manufacture, that was manufactured for use in any country's military forces and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately.

Sorry for the long post, It cost me $66 dollars and some change for the permanent antique tag. You can also get an antique tag that you renew each year. I'm not worried about the "restrictions" placed on the permanent tag, I don't work the truck as it is just a recreational hobby for me and the boys.

Last edited:

Johny5

The permanent antique tag states you can only use the truck for "used only in exhibitions, parades, or public display" Any time you are driving it on the road, that counts for public display, when you are off road, you don't need to worry about having any plate.

The only stipulation is that the truck "and is maintained to represent its military design and markings accurately."

I quickly searched for case law on that and didn't see anything defining "public display" Hope that helps

phil2968

"Shows, parades and public display." Until they more clearly define public display, I say me driving it around town and to wally world is public display! Who is going to check on me every time I put it on the road? Nobody. Sombody is going to police my every mile driven? Nope!

Dodge man

I quickly searched for case law on that and didn't see anything defining "public display" Hope that helps
Well, according to Code Enforcement (zoning) ANYTHING that's not inside a closed garage is a "public display" even if it's in the middle of 40 acres and has an 11 foot fence around it! I'm serious, code enforcement dinged a friend of mine even though that was the case. He caught CE personnel on top of a twelve foot step ladder set up in the bed of a truck taking photos of his vehicles OVER his 11 foot fence!

yetti96

I am still leery of the "display" authenticity of driving it to and from work and for fun weekend drives. I guess before I help this thread get cluttered, see what others have done. From my reading of the FL states and not assuming that driving in traffic is a public display I would say the truck needs ot be registered as a privat truck by its weight, up to its GVWR. This is the safest way to register it as far as legality goes, but will also be the most costly.

As said, the HC is for super old vehicles, which I do not think we are talking about. And my interpretation of the loose definition says that antique plates may not enable the most legal driving of the deuce. I guess it seems like most might get the antique plate, but I am not sold on it yet.

Johny5

Well, according to Code Enforcement (zoning) ANYTHING that's not inside a closed garage is a "public display" even if it's in the middle of 40 acres and has an 11 foot fence around it! I'm serious, code enforcement dinged a friend of mine even though that was the case. He caught CE personnel on top of a twelve foot step ladder set up in the bed of a truck taking photos of his vehicles OVER his 11 foot fence!
I think that is a little excessive on the CE's part. IMHO

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the replies.

Because it's a MV, it is eligible for the Horseless Carriage tag. I'm attaching a picture from DMV Procedure RS-25 which covers it.

I have read through all the statutes and know the use limits. I think the term "public display" could be interpreted as any time I’m driving around. It probably depends on the circumstances; I think the chances of being hassled are small. I don't want to pay a couple of hundred dollars a year for tags for something I'll only drive a few times a month and not use for hauling.

I have been trying to find out what the case law would be for violations of the use limits and have not found anything either. I have a relative that is a Lake County Sheriff and the next time I see him, I'll ask what the law is that covers it.

I wasn't really looking to get into a discussion of the laws here. That has all ready been covered pretty well in other posts. What I want to know for the poll, is what kind of tag you have on your FL MV and/or what you think is best.

Attachments

Johny5

Side note on laws, the way I read the laws, you can drive a 5ton in Florida without a CDL as long as you own it, and do not use it to pull/transport anyones belongings and only use it for your own personal assets.

TIGERFANS2

I do believe at that point they would have gotten pictures of an old, fat, bald man nude sunbathing. And he would have called the police on the peeping toms.

Dodge man

Side note on laws, the way I read the laws, you can drive a 5ton in Florida without a CDL as long as you own it, and do not use it to pull/transport anyones belongings and only use it for your own personal assets.
I visited the DMV office and that's exactly what they told me. They even printed out the relavent regulations. HOWEVER the problem that I ran into is that Seminole County won't allow any vehicle with more than two axles or with a cargo capacity of more than two tons to even enter any residential zoned area except "to make deliveries". Absolutely no storing it there, working on washing it, putting air in the tires or anything else! That stopped my plans for a Deuce so I got an M37 instead!

lavarok

I have the "Permanent Antique (AQR)" tag for all my registered MVs REGARDLESS of their age or weight. Yes, that includes a few of my CUCVs. I mail my paperwork to Tallahassee per form "HSMV 83045".

I had the paperwork come back once. So now when I mail the paperwork, I include a photo of the truck and a copy of the relevant statute. So far, so good.

If you have your CUCV ( or any MV ) registered with a regular tag and apply for the Perm Antique, you can send in form "HSMV 83363" to request a refund on the regular (plate) taxes paid when the perm plate is issued. Reason for refund: "Two License Plates/Decals Purchased for Same Vehicle/Mobile Home/Vessel". I had just re-registered my M1010 before applying for the Perm plate and ended up getting $110 back from the state after they issued me the Perm plate and I applied for refund on the regular registration fees.

scrapman

Myself I just get the regular tags because there is no question about how I use my trucks. It is worth it to me to be able just to get in and drive and do whatever I so desire without having a LEO problem. Freedom comes at a price and in this case it is $153.65 per year. 1 citation, 1 court date to explain how "right" I think I may be with the outcome undecided is certainly worth that cost. I handle my insurance policies in the same manner. Screw trying to beat the "system" or save a little money when it can all jump up and bite you on the 'nads through a trafic stop or minor accident.

fulleraviation

Im here in Tallahassee, and have a permanent antique tag. I keep it in the glove box with the statutes. Cost me $32.20 which was before the rate increases. It never has to be renewed.

I drive my truck everywhere with no issues from Law Enforcement. I also work at the Airport accross from the Sherrifs Hanger...with my truck...no problems.

Green_gator

I run the permanent antique tag on my deuce and trailers. I do not drive it them around all the time as the insurance is limited to similar driving and "sunny day" drives. The insurance is less then $100 year and has 5,000 miles per year. If I were going to drive it a lot then I would look at going the regular tag and standard insurance but it gets costly. Out of curiosity who is your insurance through and about how much per year? I have never so much as had a law enforcement officer look twice at me in the deuce other then to wave. Sometime they do trail me and hide as they watch for speeders going in the other direction.

ALFA2

Unless you already have an ongoing problem with the code enforcement or agitated neighbors, who will persistently complain about you truck, and your uses of it, get the Perm. Antique tags, and be done with it for good. If you are using it for obvious business type daily activities, and in a business then a yearly antique tag weighted appropriately would be better, since it is much easier to defend if some one has an issue with it.

ALFA2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks