• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which task is preferable?

Jonusmc

Hey guys. I've been reading threads for days trying to educate myself. First off, what an amazing site. Between the TMs and the search, it seems you can find an answer to just about anything! I now have a question that I believe falls into the personal preference category. Would you rather put a winch on a non winch m35 or replace a sprag with an air shift TC? And why is that your choice?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
T case change, cheaper.

Jonusmc

I need to see if I could find one local. I've only been able to find remanufactured ones and they were around 2 grand. If prices were the same, would the winch install not be easier? From my understanding, the easiest way to swap transfer case is through passenger side floor? That in and of itself doesn't seem easy. Haha

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do the t case from underneath.

Used for 500ish or less.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't think either job is really easier....... the winch has a lot of work where you're standing up and comfortable, but the transfer swap is almost all under the truck or leaned over the cab. The winch is more work but most of it is easy.

Buying a sprag transfer winch truck and then upgrading it to an air-shift is definitely cheaper. I don't know what the market is for used and rebuilt transfers, but $2K seems high.

When you swap the transfer, go ahead and redo the parking brake. You'll thank me later.

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to do the t case from underneath.

Used for 500ish or less.
I had to change out my Transfer case and used a fork lift to suspend the T-case through the floor and lower it onto a dolly. I then rolled in the new one lifted it into place and bolted it in. So yes, you want to lower it out the bottom, but if you have access to a fork lift, it was much easier to drop and lift it from above.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jonusmc

Do the floor pans come out pretty easily? Also, I've tried to keep up, but as I'm new to the deuce parts and lingo, I get lost sometimes. Aside from the TC itself, what other parts need to come off the donor to go along with the air shift? Just the switch?

Mike929

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes the center panel is just bolted in. I have removed the passenger bench seat in those (bad) pictures because I replaced it with a new bucket seat.

Mine came with the air shift, I was only replacing the T-case because one of the bearing cages came apart (discovered during initial fluid change after pickup from GL), It was actually still functioning fine when I removed it.

Just another example of it runs and drives from a GL auction, turned into multiple brake issues (new air pack, etc.) and a bad transfer case. Oh and one dry inner bearing. They packed the outside one, but forgot to repack the inside bearing. I wouldn't have known if I hadn't pulled it all down and put in new boots, seals and repacked everything (along with a new bearing and race for the damaged one that I found.) All fixed now, but just a warning to novice GL auction buyers. They can look brand new and even drive around the lot in the videos, but still have thousands of dollars of needed repair and maintenance.

With that said, I am off to pick up my new 5 ton. First walk through inspection looked great, now I just need to do final safety checks to see if I can drive it home today and start changing fluids, filters, and all the stuff I have to do so I know the truck is 100%

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would rather do 3 transfer cases to one winch install. I've done plenty of both. As Clinto said, lots more work with the winch but most of it on your feet and knees. Installing and shimming the PTO is done on your back and can be a pain.

If stripping the air shift off a parts truck, follow the air line and take everything back to the air source. You can use soft copper to replace it but there are some bulkheads and panel fittings you need.

Jonusmc

4x4, so as long as I use all the hoses and such off the donor, I won't need the bulkhead and panel fittings? Or would I still?

Jonusmc

I have a large deuce scrap yard about 45 minutes from me. His prices seem a little steep but it saves me from driving far or having to pay for shipping. But, to my understanding, he'll pull the parts when he has time. I'd rather it be, I go in, pick what looks nice and remove myself

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a fixture bolted to the crossmember by the transfer that is needed. It has the hose onone side and copper on the other. There is also a bulkhead fitting the goes through the firewall. Best to have this. The cooper isn't that important but everything from the parts truck helps a bunch

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmm. That definitely seems cheaper than I've been finding any winches. Thanks for responding doghead
I was refering to used t cases.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Air-Shift T-case is swell, but I don't feel there is that much benefit to them, over a working Sprague Clutch. Certainly, the Sprague is cheaper to replace. Just keep it adjusted, and they work well. As one gets a little older, and uses a little more judgement, the desirability of the Air-Shift, seems less necessary. The benefit of a winch however, not just for self-recovery, but as a tool, goes on & on. A winch is a real big benefit!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks