• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tire to keep?????

Alexander

I recently purchased twelve 20 inch tires in a lot. This included 5 Michelin X 1400R 20 XL and 7 Goodyear AT-2A 1400R 20s. I want to bob my duce and make a mean looking big pick-up out of it. I have been slowly accumulating the M105 trailer and other parts necessary for the project. My current dilemma is which style of tire to keep… the others I’ll try to sell. All in all the tread depth and condition of the tires is about the same (at least 70% remaining). The Michelins have a chevron like directional tread and the Goodyear’s have a diagonal set of blocks that run across the tire at an angle. The conditions the truck will see is mostly snow in the winter, and an occasional mud or dirt romp during the remainder of the year. So is one of these styles better in the snow? Also some of these tires have this heavy plastic or composite cylinder still inside… I’m assuming it’s some sort of beadlock? Can these be easily removed. Can I use them instead of a flap in combat style wheels (with a radial tube)? The combat wheels are another project in progress. I’ll talk more about those as I get educated.

Jones

Though the Michelins have the chevron tread, the military views them as non-directional. Some of the Goodyear ATs had sidewall problems in the form of radial cracking that runs parallel to the bead about an inch or so out from the wheel bead flange. You might want to look for signs of that and factor that into your decision. Our advisory letter says the tire has to be scrapped if cracking is evident.

M1075

Either tire would be good, although I just prefer the Michelins. Those inner rings, if rubber about 1" thick, are the beadlocks used on the 5 tons. You'll need beadlock rims to run them. To take them out, just use a come along or pry bar. I'll buy them from you if you are not going to use them.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've run both on my 5-tons and the Goodyears give better service for me. The Michelins wear quickly into a "lumpy" tread pattern, front or rear.

Then again, keep them all. 8K miles makes for a reallly old tire on a tactical.

I have done a little mod to the newer type 10X20 milspec wheels and run tubes. I just get tired of coming out and finding a flat that will hold air again then not. Plus my wife loves all those giant rubber rings for planting things!

dg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks