• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which tires/rims?

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1971 2.5ton, and I was wondering if I get rid of the duals, how big of tire can I put on safely. Also, can I keep the current rims or do they have to be replaced with something else?
Thanks in advance.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am currently in the process of putting Michelin 12.50R20 XL's on my Deuce using stock wheels. There are many Wheel/tire options depending on how much $ you have to spend.

The search feature at the top of the page can be useful if you use the correct terms.

And welcome to the Steel Soldiers website!

Ed

vtach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am utilizing the search function, and have gone through several pages. I was hoping someone just knew off of the top of there head like 14.00x20 with stock rims are the biggest.
I hope to stay under $1000.

chevycrew

You have to stay with a tire that is inder the 48" axle spread limit if you wish to keep both rear axles.

Basically 14.00's will not fit on a 2 1/2 ton 6x6

395/85r20's measure about 46 and will fit, 13.00r20's are about the same

the wheels are narrow stock and it will be a squeeze with much bigger of a tire, but if you dont mind skinny, then cram them on there.

Alredneck

Banned
Agreed im runnin 395/85R20s on stock rims ( 46 inchs have about a 1inch and half clearance in back ). Is it safe? safe enough got a couple hundred mile no probs they mount up alot better
than most folks realize. look up my thread on APOC ( the name of my truck in this subject ) its got pics. 15s are bout the same size but you wont be able to go any bigger without major mods.

CliffW

Alredneck said:
Agreed im runnin 395/85R20s on stock rims ( 46 inchs have about a 1inch and half clearance in back ). Is it safe? safe enough got a couple hundred mile no probs they mount up alot better
than most folks realize. look up my thread on APOC ( the name of my truck in this subject ) its got pics. 15s are bout the same size but you wont be able to go any bigger without major mods.
here is the link he was talking about. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=19561&postdays=0&postorder=asc