• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which torque multiplier ?

sed6

Not a TM but a PM as in PM magazine, March 91. Look in the restoration section, I believe there is a link to a web site called radionerds. You can also do an internet search for PM magazine and find pdf copies of back issues. If you have a problem PM me, I think I have a pdf of that issue.
Close. It's called PS Magazine, as in a Post Script to a TM. Here's a link where you can download them all. https://www.logsa.army.mil/psmag/psonline.cfm

armytruck63

Another option that no one has mentioned is to buy a 3/4 or 1 inch impact tuna d keep it in the truck toolbox. You would also need to make an air hose with a glad hand one one end and long enough to reach all the wheels on the truck. You will get an air supply from the emergency air glad hand at the rear of the truck.

You need a running truck with a working air compressor,of course.

rustystud

The reason I mentioned using a jackstand or some other brace for the KenTool is for safety. I was using one and it slipped off causing me to hurt my back severely as I was really exerting myself since the nut was stuck on hard. PS magazine also mentions this. Armytruck63, the reason no one mentioned the 1 inch impact is because the compressor cannot keep up with the impact wrench. If you had a 50 gallon tank you might be able to get one wheel off before the tank ran out of air. Since the truck does not have even that much capacity you would be there all day if you had some problem lug nuts to remove.
Dependable, you lucky dog ! I have wanted one of the Powerdyne multiplyers for years but I cannot afford one. One came up for auction last year but I was out bid. I used them when I was a Tanker in the Marines on my "M60A1 Rise Passive" .

Last edited:

peashooter

I bought this one, and am happy with it. So far I have only used it to remove/reinstall the front tires and it worked fantastic. It is heavy and feels well built and even comes with sockets and a case for a good price.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H99Y556?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

2 negatives:

1 - the plastic case will likely crack in shipping due to the weight of the tool. still works better than no case.
2 - the extension bar is some sort of soft lightweight material (aluminum maybe) it is only meant to quickly spin on/off the nuts after they're loose, but will bend/twist under a relatively light load. would be nice if it were heavier duty like the rest of the com
I got this same one and am happy with it. Its a 1:58 and worked fantastic to break some nuts loose that I couldnt get with the stock lug wrench and a cheater bar. I think it was around $60 shipped off ebay.

rustystud

I got this same one and am happy with it. Its a 1:58 and worked fantastic to break some nuts loose that I couldnt get with the stock lug wrench and a cheater bar. I think it was around $60 shipped off ebay.
These cheap Chinese units work OK as long as you treat them gently. I've had mine for 4 years now and it works just fine, but I never get in a rush with it always making sure it is aligned squarely and the lug is all the way on the nut. Also NEVER use a impact wrench on this thing ! It will break so fast your head will spin ! I also have the Ken-Tool and now thanks to "Dependable" I own a Power-Dyne multiplier . Thanks again "Dependable" for showing me that link !

jpg

I got the 3/4" impact wrench that runs off the slave port for removal, below, and a big torque wrench for final torque. They're in the SS classifieds now. Search for impact.

wrench.jpg

armytruck63

Armytruck63, the reason no one mentioned the 1 inch impact is because the compressor cannot keep up with the impact wrench. If you had a 50 gallon tank you might be able to get one wheel off before the tank ran out of air. Since the truck does not have even that much capacity you would be there all day if you had some problem lug nuts to remove.
Here's my experience with the pneumatic impact guns running off the truck's air system: you do have to pay attention to how much air your impact gun uses. There are some that require lower CFM's than others. Also, using the hand throttle for higher engine RPM's helps the air compressor keep up, and yes, you do have to wait sometimes for the compressor to catch up.

I like the torque multipliers shown and this thread, as well as the 24 Volt slave cable impact guns.

SLOrazorsedge

You'll have to pack a lunch and dinner if your planning on running a 1" impact gun off of your glad hand truck air supply. A 1" gun normally is supplied air from a 2-stage compressor with a minimum of a 1/2" air supply line. The manual torque multiplier and 24V slave cable 3/4" to speed off the lugs work pretty good.

rustystud

Here's my experience with the pneumatic impact guns running off the truck's air system: you do have to pay attention to how much air your impact gun uses. There are some that require lower CFM's than others. Also, using the hand throttle for higher engine RPM's helps the air compressor keep up, and yes, you do have to wait sometimes for the compressor to catch up.

I like the torque multipliers shown and this thread, as well as the 24 Volt slave cable impact guns.
Our deuce compressor when "brand new" can make 7.5 cfm's. My 1" impact (Ingersol Rand) needs a minimum of 10 cfm's just to spin ! I can drain my tanks in seconds ! I've done it just to see what would happen. There is no way, at any engine speed that our compressor can run even a 3/4" impact. So that means your running off of stored air and our tanks are not that big. You can buy one of those 2,000 psi tanks and keep it to help take off hard lug nuts but you have no way to refill it after you drain the thing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks