• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which TPS works on the 6.5NA?

Jon0249

I know this information has to be on here, but even the advanced searches turn up so many threads, it's tough to get to the one little nugget I need!

Swapping a 4L80e into my '90 M998 and now in the process of staging the parts, with one remaining. My 4L80e has been rebuilt, mated to a NP241C T-Case. I'll be using a Baumann/US Shift Quick 1 controller, but can't determine which TPS will work. The TH160 TPS from the major OEM suppliers would seem to mount where the kickdown switch is now located, but it appears I need to modify the shaft on the side of the IP to fit the TH160 TPS, just don't know how.

Advice and recommendations appreciated.

Thx,
Jon

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are correct....the TPS is slotted like a screwdriver tip. How are you getting crank position sensor ? Or does it need one? The military setup requires it.

dilvoy

OK. Does your the part of the TPS that you have look like a sort of butterfly or hourglass where it contacts the throttle shaft? If so, I think you can remove the plastic bit that is on the throttle shaft and the cross pin that goes through the shaft, will operate your TPS. Does that seem to match up with your TPS and the right side of the throttle shaft?

Jon0249

You're a step ahead of me - I haven't bought a TPS yet. I see what you're saying though. I think if you were to carve a groove in opposite sides of the butterfly "wings", so as to make a sort of saddle for the roll pin, that could do it. Not sure, though, if you'd have room to rotate/clock it correctly. If the TPS is spring loaded, then it would be easier. Don't know about that, since dropping a c-note on a might-work electronic piece has me a bit apprehensive. Looks like I need one to test.

Jon0249

Another thing... the shaft looks like it will be a bit long. Either drill a roll pin hole closer to the end, or grind off some of the shaft. I like the former.

dilvoy

You can do a search on e bay under "95 Hummer Throttle Position Sensor" and you will find plenty of them for sale. The ones with the pig tail are what I have seen on Hummers with the 6.2 and it is not anything special to the hummer. It is the same thing that General Motors used on thousands of vehicles, except for maybe the length of the pig tail.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
6.5 pump upper
6.2 pump lower
switch for 6.5 pump bottom pic

DSC_0909.jpg
DSC_0910.jpg
DSC_0908.jpg
Dsc_907.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks