• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which Turbo For My LDS??

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I need to decide which turbo to put back on my LDS. I just had new valve guides installed and had the heads cleaned up for my M52A2. The engine had a "D" turbo on it but I also have a spare LDS with the older waste gate turbo on it.

I removed the waste gate turbo and had new bearings intalled, it was very tight, it's now like new. If I decide to use the "D" I'll have to take it to the local turbo shop as well. I have all the piece parts to install either one, the installations are quit different.

I've read as many of the past posts as I could find and have not found the definitive information as to why they moved away from the waste gate design.

Does anyone have any information, suggestions and or personal experience as to performance of each and which one YOU would use? I do understand it's personal preference, so I'm looking for good input to help the decision.

I do think it would cool to run the older turbo, but if it's known for being a POS, I'll opt for the "D".

Thanks,

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
WIsh I could offer better info. I have heard they went with the C and D turbos to keep everything simple. That being said, I got a 5ton wastegate turbo to put on my wrecker when the motor swap happens. If you don't use it, use the D. They have more heat shielding for the bearings, and you don't have to hear that dang whine from the C turbo!

jesusgatos

I'm wondering about this too. I had Ken port my D-series turbo for mah deuce, but I just found an LDS engine that I'm planning to swap into my truck eventually and I'm wondering which turbo I might want to use.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kevin,
The waste gated turbo will move more CFM's at lower engine speeds. It will provide more power when pulling heavy loads. But as engine speed and turbo speed increase the waste gate will open and will preform very close to the "D" model. If you pull heavy loads with your M52A2 you will be able to hold a gear longer as the engine will produce more power in the lower ranges. You would have to drop a gear and keep the RPM's up more often with the "D" model. As you can tell by the larger parts it i a very robust turbo. And in my opinion is the best turbo installed my the military for the multi's. I have two of them myself. And have gotten great service from both.

Coldfusion21

I know this might be crazy talk, but has anyone ever replaced the turbo with something more modern? Turbo design has come a long long way in the last thirty years, not to mention 50.

velociT

I know this might be crazy talk, but has anyone ever replaced the turbo with something more modern? Turbo design has come a long long way in the last thirty years, not to mention 50.
I would think a "newer" turbo would need a supporting intercooler.

If you're thinking ball-bearing turbo swap, I've been wondering the same thing.

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, what a great answer, thank you very much. I will be using the wastegate turbo as pulling power is what I need with the truck.

Thanks again,

jwaller

Turbo design has come a long long way in the last thirty years, not to mention 50.
I built 2 custom turbos for the multi and I have to say neither performed as good as the original.

Is it possible to do it, yes but by the time you build a ball bearing turbo you will have more money in it than most pay for their trucks. so it's not worth it. that and the fact that having quicker boost is not always a good thing with these motors. you want high rpms when running max boost. they dont live long being lugged around with lots of boost.

leave it alone. if you want more power turn up the fuel. if thats not enough then add water inj, if thats not enough then do an eng swap. I've the first two of the above and it's more than enough for me.

I'd like to have the WG turbo just to try it out but I doubt it's so much better that it would completly change the truck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks