• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Which way???

beachbummer

Thanks everyone 1st off. I have been wanting to buy a deuce for a long time, and now that dream is reality.
My question is for a newbie which way would you go in buying a truck?
1: Would you buy a truck off of GL?
2: Would you buy a truck you found on the classifieds that has had a lot of work already done to it?
3: would you buy an el cheapo and do the work yourself?

I am a decent mechanic, BUT have NO experience with diesel engines except oil changes, and running the holy crap out of em!! I made the De monies Ia to Indy trip in 7 hours! When i was an OTR driver. i know a deuce will never make that time unless on the back of another truck!!
I am looking at using a deuce as our camping/ snow/ back road riding truck, so speed is not a factor for us. i do plan on modifying it somewhat, and maybe putting a Cummings diesel in it at some point and time. I have a budget, but want the biggest bang for my buck as anyone would want.

Thanks to all for your input.

Billy Bobbed

I started with a basic truck and have been modifying it for over a year now.And you will enjoy the truck more doing the upgrades yourself,and not when someone else has already done it.You can proably get a decent truck cheap with a bad engine.It depends do you want to drive it now or do an engine swap now.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are only going to buy one MV (yea....right) you are prob better off with a private seller.

You can drive the truck, check out all the systems and see what condition it is in.

You also don't have to wait for an EUC to clear so you have your truck immediatly.

Buying from GL is a crap shoot even if you go preview the vehicle before you bid.

Just my two cents.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Purchasing from GL means lowest cost, higher degree of risk and maximum time to ownership.
Private party is highest cost, lower risk and quickest time into the drivers seat.

Have you spent any time around the deuce? They are very basic and do not require lengthy training to operate, maintain and repair. Like you, I have mechanical skills from the automotive industry. I had to tool up in a few areas but otherwise the stuff is basic, just big.

Suggestion: Get some seat time in these trucks by networking with fellow OD addicts like yourself in your area. I'm sure you will also get some offers and advise being that your area is an MV hotspot!!

Welcome and enjoy!

Rick

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Get some seat time in these trucks by networking with fellow OD addicts like yourself in your area. I'm sure you will also get some offers and advise being that your area is an MV hotspot!!
There are a lot of Steelsoldier "usual suspects" in your neck of the woods. Plenty of good folks that will aid and abet you in MV ownership.

Network with them and you will meet some good people.

KsM715

Purchasing from GL means lowest cost,
Rick

Not lately. Right now if it were me I'd look to the classifieds right here and check out some of the lower priced trucks that have titles already and you can test drive them if close enough to you or have a SS member check them out for you.

I have bought from both GL and private sellers. I havent been burned either way. (yet)

rtl434

The last three I have bought have been from private owners. Seems to be many that buy from GL not realizing what they are getting into and just want out ! The ability to test drive the truck before purchase is very valuable.

flyxpl

A good point from Wreckerman . If you are only going to buy one truck GL is very time consuming and in the end not as cheap as you think it is . Some trucks on GL are going for the same prices in the classifieds , maybe even more after buyers premium , taxes and SF 97 fees . Another good reason is once you start buying from GL you may end up with OD Fever and not being able to stop buying

velociT

GL seems to full of new bidders who have more money than information.

If this is your first MV I strongly recommend a private sale vehicle you can test drive.

You also won't have to wait the 70+ business days it takes for a first time GL EUC to go through.

maxxplanck

I purchased my first Duece from a private collector, love it . Great guy who did a lot of work himself and explained everything to me. Now when I go for a second Ill try GL or maybe another private sale. I think for me that a GL deuce would have been overwhelming. For me I think going to a private collector was the right choice for me for my first deuce.:idea: