• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

which would you choose

macibell111

here is a pic of the 43 willys i am picking up in 2 weeks.just got the deal squared away today.the guy has no paperwork on it but has owned it for 20 years and has been on a ranch for all that time.so i am hoping to start fresh with the paperwork to get it on a non op. would like to get it running and just cleaned up and keep it the way it is.there is the sister to it a 43 gpw .the guy wants me to get that one too but he wants to trade .he doesnt want the cash .but i have no room for it.therefore i can not get it.he thinks they are worth about 8,000 each 'which one would u choose .jack

Attachments

dmetalmiki

I would personally take the ford, (as) I just happen to like them, they have small design features which make them slightly. better.The willys has a gu't Gawking completely unoriginal winch bodged on the front bumper. If that is the willys, (or) then take the other. There are simply not enough pictures of either one to compare one against the other..And it is not clear if the winch one has combat wheels or not.
I just reviewed the pictures again, and YEP! I'd definitely Take the FORD G.P.W. Quite original, and a Nice project. and also? does not have some "building scaff'" poles welded in the back. or no? original front bumper?

dmetalmiki

On looking again..the GPW does look pretty complete AND rather nicely orriginal, including nice features like the straps lifting handles and frames etc. Would love to see some more pictures of that one including the inside, and the front. As well as the engines of both if possible.

macibell111

sorry about the hodgepodge of pics.the gpw is the one with the the rollbar and bubba winch and no combat wheels.that is why i am going with the willys.it is more original.and the willys does also have the combat wheels the gpw does not have them.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree the GPW is the one. My father also a WW2 Vet would also be 100 this year, 9-28-1916. Yes a good Omen!

Last edited:

macibell111

here are some more pics of the gpw u can see it has no combat rims and the frame was repaired in a few places ,one above the rear drivers wheel and the rear bunmper has been taken off and a aftermarket top was put on at one time or another,so it has some extra holes in the body.in the pic with the two back ends the gpw is the one on the left

Attachments

macibell111

my mistake the willys is a 1944 not a 43 as i originaslly stated i think the gpw is a 43.the willys looks to have all of the original wiring in it,it will be a great reference for me when i start putting my gpw i have in my shop right now and am restoring.have aquired most of the parts i have learned that restoring one is like digging a hole the deeper u go the harder it gets and u find alot more dirt than u thought.but is it a fun project.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks