• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White buildup on turbo.

Clay James

Took the deuce camping in the desert last weekend. Found this white buildup on the outside of the turbo. Anyone know what it could be? Never seen anything like this before.

Attachments

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Coolant as others have said. But that appears to be coming from the exhaust since the band clamp is removed and it appears the white ash is on the flanges.

Clay James

I removed the clamp to further inspect it since it did appear to be coming from inside the exhaust rather than something leaking on it. There was also a spot like this on the exhaust manifold joint so it appears to be exhaust related. During the drive it did start getting hot. It's never gotten over 180 before, but got to 220 this time. Thought it could be a blown head gasket, but I don't see any evidence of that. I'm flushing out the cooling system and putting in a new thermostat.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slobber is nothing new. Some engines are worse then others, especially if you don't work them much - then when you do, you can see that sort of thing. Here, I run a DSCN0002.jpgDSCN0016.jpgDSCN0011.jpg195* thermostat, because of the serious temps, encountered. I work mine a lot, & sometimes on several mean hills (on the way to Fairbanks, in the summer), she gets to 200*. I don't mind. Unless I was really bored, on yours, I would change the thermostat up-words - flush it, and run her some more, till I knew for sure, its a bad head gasket, but Gimp might be right.

red

If the coolant is coming from inside the exhaust it's most likely a head gasket. A cracked head or block would do the same thing, but thankfully on the LDS/LDT motors the head gasket is usually the problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks