• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White engine smoke until operating temperature

M925

Is a little white engine smoke normal until the engine warms up. Mine sometimes puffs real good until the engine is hot. Is this normal?

Every cold start it will start die, then start next time I crank it.

I'm a paranoid about this.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
One of my a2's smokes till it warms up its more black smoke though. If yours is an a2 there are adjustments on the pump if you have the nhc250 motor I don't know about that one sorry but it's a diesel they smoke especially when cold.

M925

I have been driving it every day.....sometimes it smokes more than others, but it smells like diesel. Then it goes away when hot. It had been sitting in texas at the RRA for four years before I bought it.

There was some condensation in the fuel separator when we purged it. I put some sea foam in it a awhile back, but I ran out totally out of fuel, so I know there's none in it now.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think it is normal I have heard of having the engine and injectors cleaned and adjusted with less smoke on startup you would have to find someone that knows those engines though

TehTDK

White smoke = Water vapour = Good
Blue smoke = Oil being burned = BAD
Black Smoke = polluting :p = So so

M215

Our NHC250 (M813) produced white smoke on cold start ups. Ended up being a cracked cylinder head. Not a big deal, the heads are easy to change on this engine.

M925

Our NHC250 (M813) produced white smoke on cold start ups. Ended up being a cracked cylinder head. Not a big deal, the heads are easy to change on this engine.
I'm afraid that's what it is......would a cracked head cause high oil pressure? Not that I believe my oil pressure gauge works, it seems to have a mind of it's own, it never really worked well since the long wet deluge ride home. It goes back and forth sometimes stopping at different numbers, but most of the time shaking and wagging back and forth inconsistently.

It doesn't smell like coolant though.....

Last edited:

MTMUDRUNNER

Is that better than seafoam?[/QUOTE
I have had good results with seafoam in gas engines, I have never used it in a diesel other people have and I am sure it works fine. I have used Power Service, Stanadyne and Howes, have always had better results with Howes2cents

M215

I'm afraid that's what it is......would a cracked head cause high oil pressure? Not that I believe my oil pressure gauge works, it seems to have a mind of it's own, it never really worked well since the long wet deluge ride home. It goes back and forth sometimes stopping at different numbers, but most of the time shaking and wagging back and forth inconsistently.

It doesn't smell like coolant though.....
I ran ours with the crack for about a year, never any water in the oil or oil pressure issues. I only noticed an anti-freeze odor when the smoke got real heavy. When I pulled the manifolds it was obvious that it was the center cylinder head that had the leak. Ended up pulling all three heads and had them pressure checked to confirm that only one was bad. I paid $75 for a take off head from a parts dealer and gaskets were not too expensive if I remember correctly. The biggest head ache was setting the timing for the valves and injectors.

Was Lorax

I'm curious about the cold start part, where it starts, dies, then restarts when you try a second time. My 925A0 does the same thing. Only had her about one month and still getting used to the particulars of the 939 series. I've have Deuces and 809 series trucks in the past, and each one had it personalities about starting and liked certain things to be done to cold start better. So I'm still in the process of learning on the 939 series, even though my past two 809 series used the same engines.

Any ideas? Could also be colder weather starting to do its thing.

For information, she's a 1984 925A0.

When first cold starting, following the tech manual, she'll rev up to around 1500 rpm, then drop down below 500 soon afterward. I tried feathering the pedal when she starts slowing down to keep her running, but most times she'll still die. It could be operator error from not being used to a new truck's personality. It took a while to learn each 809 series engine too.

By the way, love the truck. Been out of the hobby for a few years and it sure is nice to be getting back involved again. Used to be "Lorax" here on-site, but cant remember the password and have since changed e-mail addressed so cant reset the old pasword either.

Bought the truck from a fellow member here but cant remember his user name. Lives in Maryland though. Great guy.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks