• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke from my M1009...

linx310

I tried to do a search and find an answer but none of the post seemed to deal exactly with my situation.

When I give my M1009 fuel as the higher RPMs I have a bit of white smoke. It doesn't seem to be pouring out but it is there.

Could this be caused by the truck sitting for awhile and not being driven?

Here is a video. At about the 28 second mark you can see it. And no I don't normal do throttle the engine like this. The engine was warmed up. It is the only way I could get it to show up.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ttH_k6H3yc[/media]
So do you think this is normal. Should I just wait until I get it put back together and drive it a bit before I should be concerned?

Status of my M1009:

1. Truck starts on first key turn. This morning I noticed white smoke coming out of exhaust but it stopped after a few minutes. First time I really noticed this. I read this can be normal for a cold start.

2. My M1009 has only been driven once around the block since I got it 2 weeks ago. It has probably sat at a GL lot for a year or more.

3. The diesel in the tank came with the truck. So I don't know how old it is.

4. My M1009 does not seem to have coolant in the oil, and the coolant looks clean.

Last edited:

rhinob

It disappeared so quickly, do you think it could be condensation/water in the fuel? Looks like some nice clear exhaust to me otherwise.

If the tank wasn't full when you got the truck, it might have been condensation/water.

coyotegray

First thing I would do is drain the fuel tank and change the oil and look for water in both..

Does the smoke smell like coolant or fuel..?

Andy..

linx310

Does the smoke smell like coolant or fuel..?
Fuel.

I will drain the oil and tank probably next weekend. We are about to get hit by a tropical storm here and the weather wont be good for a few days.

My only problem is where do I put all that diesel I drain out? It has about 15 gallons in it now. Should I keep it to rerun in the engine or use it for a solvent?

Barrman

Where in Texas are you again? Lots of us multifuel guys will take that fuel. I am prepping for the tropical storm as well since it is supposed to be over my house or near here Wednesday.

coyotegray

Fuel.

I will drain the oil and tank probably next weekend. We are about to get hit by a tropical storm here and the weather wont be good for a few days.

My only problem is where do I put all that diesel I drain out? It has about 15 gallons in it now. Should I keep it to rerun in the engine or use it for a solvent?
Smells like fuel is good..

Any problem with performance or is it just a little smoke..?
Does it run/sound diffrent when it's smoking?
Does it only do it when you let off the throttle? Apply the throttle..? or just random?

Andy..

rlwm211

Fuel is black...oil is blue, coolant is white....

What little was there could be accumulated moisure in the fuel. I would check your water separator/filter and make sure it is not saturated.....

I would get the truck on the road and run it a while. Even running it until the engine is hot, according to the gauge, it Still is not running as hot as it does on the highway.

For the tiny bit of smoke in the video, I would not worry for now.

RL

dstang97

Fuel is black...oil is blue, coolant is white....

What little was there could be accumulated moisure in the fuel. I would check your water separator/filter and make sure it is not saturated.....

I would get the truck on the road and run it a while. Even running it until the engine is hot, according to the gauge, it Still is not running as hot as it does on the highway.

For the tiny bit of smoke in the video, I would not worry for now.

RL
What he said. also cold diesels do the same when they are first started.

linx310

Any problem with performance or is it just a little smoke..?
Does it run/sound diffrent when it's smoking?
Does it only do it when you let off the throttle? Apply the throttle..? or just random?
I haven't really driven it so I cant tell if the performance is effected. The engine doesn't sound any different when it does it.

And it only seems to do it at a steady throttle.

When I get the interior back together I am going to have to take it on a highway trip and then see what it does.

rnd-motorsports

:ditto: I would not worry about it there is not much there and it has been setting! it starts good you said . and sounds good just keep an eye on fluids. I put a temp gauge and oil pres. in mine I like to know these things!!

Zero_cool

Mines doing that to,when i first start it up in the morning there is a poof of white smoke,and i can hear this kind of knocking noise. But the knocking noise only last for about 3-4 mins then goes away, the only time it knocks is when i first start it in the morning but it poofs white smoke every time i start it.
Is this normal for a M1028?
P.S
it has 20k miles, and the engine runs good and seams to have the power it should have.

linx310

Mines doing that to,when i first start it up in the morning there is a poof of white smoke,and i can hear this kind of knocking noise.
I think white smoke at start up is ok because the engine has not warmed up completely enough to burn all the fuel.

ralbelt

Black smoke would be excess fuel at start up. Mine had white smoke intermittingly after I got it on the road, ended up being a partially blown head gasket and a cracked head but when it started smoking it realllllllly smoked. Also would hydro lock if shut down when warm, I was lucky nothing got bent.

3dubs

There is no drain on the fuel tank of a M1009. I wanted to dump my fuel and give it to a buddy with a multi-fuel but it was too hard to get out. So I just dumped a bottle of Diesel911 in just to make sure.

White smoke could be water or coolant. Go to the Wallymart grab a bottle of diesel 911 it is a red bottle. It will clean out any water in the fuel. Keep an eye on the coolant level. If you are not losing any coolant, you cleaned any possible water out of the fuel, and it is still smoking then do not worry about it. If you are loosing coolant there is a gasket kit for sale on here. Pull the heads and have them checked. It could then be either the heads or gaskets. But I would bet it is just a little moisture in the fuel and will work its own way out, but Diesel911 is not expensive.

CutBeef

If all else fails check your vacuum modulator. Tranny fluid burns white also. Ive had this happen to me twice with my 79 big ten.Im pretty shure the same thing can happen with the 6.2/400 combo. If this happens, you will know it tho ! After that failure i only buy ac delco parts and not napa china stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks