• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke from under passenger dash of M931

govt

I've had my M931 for a few years. I run it every other weekend. Started and drove fine last weekend. Went to start yesterday, flipped the battery switch to on. Heard some crackling from the passenger dash then white gray smoke. Flipped battery switch off immediately. Thought I heard the starter trying to engage when I turned on the battery switch. Flipped the battery switch on again and yes, I could hear the starter trying to engage with a quick kick then smoke from the passenger side dash. Any thoughts?

Russ

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sure it was the starter and not the blower motor for the heater that was trying to run? Mad mouse knawing on wires or something chaffed to a hot lead.

Scrounger

You may wish to check the cable that runs over the bell housing under the firewall, they are known to rub, then short out. Then check the cables going to all of the batteries for tightness. If those areas are OK then start looking at the starter cables. Then the PCB would be the next place I would look.

govt

It could be the fan motor. But it feels like the starter. I will check the cable at the bell housing. This truck has been so solid. So weird that five days after I shutdown and it sits. Turn battery on and we have smoke. Thanks for the feedback as always!

govt

An update: The smoke was coming from the ste/ice-r connector on the passenger side. Took the connector out and what a mess. Burnt wires everywhere and many burnt together. I had to cut the wires from the connector. Tried to start again and now I'm getting the normal click sounds but no starter turn over. I'll move on to the PCB and starter now. Bummed I had to cut the connector out. Moving forward.