• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke on start up

cfish

Ok, so I have read several posts here and seems that the presence of white smoke on start up is a bad thing? Am I understanding correctly, or should their be some(light) amount of white smoke? If its bad I take it GP's might need replacing!

cucv1833

This is what the TM says it may help you

18. WHITE SMOKE
NOTE
Perform step 1 if white smokes only appears during starting.
Step 1. Check for inoperative glow plug module. (See TM 9-2320-289-20)​
Step 2. Check fuel injector pump timing, (See paragraph 3-44)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
White smoke during startup is unburnt fuel. I means the diesel is getting to the injectors.

I would call it a good thing as the fuel system is working, maybe not correctly but it is working.

cfish

The smoke is very light, but she fires right up first time every time. Even last week when we where down in the teens at night she fired right up.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
only at start up it should smoke alttle bit remeber guys it's not a 2010 durmax engine .... but pull the glow plugs and see if there bad all i can say

rnd-motorsports

A little white smoke is norm on start up if you get alot then I would look into it. when you start to crank the engine and every time a cylinder passes the intake stroke it gets a shot of fuel rather it starts or not so when it does start some or all cylinders will be a little on the rich side at startup. and then you get a little white smoke. You will notice this more when the temps drop. and the engine cranks a little more then in the warmer temps NORNAL!

cfish

Thanks guys. Looks like I have no problems with my system. Smoke is very light and goes away in about 5 seconds. Only smokes on the initial cold start. Not worried, just curious as some posts have made it seem that white smoke was bad.

Barrman

You know how it sound like a clothes dryer full of lawn mower parts for about 10 seconds when starting for the first time in the cold? If that is the only time you have white smoke, don't worry about it. It just didn't want to wake up. We are all a little grumpy in the mornings.

Now, white fluffy smoke compared to the white bluish haze talked about above all the time is a good indicator of a coolant leak inside the combustion chamber. Normally related to a head gasket.

Towerguy1

On the really cold mornings, set the cup of coffee on the dash for a moment before attempting to start.......... It will be less grouchy if it thinks your trying to share.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks