• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White smoke solved!

Despite being gone for work for quite a long time, I've been battling massive fogs of white smoke smelling of fuel, hard starts and poor performance for quite a few years on my 1009. The problem I found today may be of some help for others like me who have been having the same issues with no remedy despite best efforts.

I've replaced the injectors with N.O.S Bosch units, chased air bubbles, advanced the IP, triple checked my timing marks, replaced fuel lines throughout the entire truck and all around cussed the blasted thing out repeatedly. The only thing I hadn't replaced was the IP as 1K for a rebuild has been a hard pill to swallow.

By pure luck I stumbled across part of a 30+ y.o. Stanadyne tech repair manual detailing troubleshooting drive-ability issues. One of the steps was to check the function of the advance piston. For anyone not intimately familiar with the various IP components, It is located under the vacuum modulation valve on the Pass front of the IP down low towards the bottom of the IP. The advance piston should move freely with no binding or freezing in place. You can test the operation of the piston with a long flat blade screwdriver.

After finally locating the advance piston, I saw a good amount of corrosion on the piston where it met the body of the IP. I also saw the advance piston was almost completely depressed. I've tried in the past to advance the IP to help with drive-ability and low power with minimal success.

With the engine running, I manually retracted the advance piston as far out of the IP body as it would allow. The moment I retracted the advance piston, the white smoke INSTANTLY disappeared, the engine idled smoothly and came up to the correct RPM's. After readjusting my cold Idle advance, I let the engine come up to temp and test drove the exact same way I had driven the truck previously.

All I can say is WOW! the truck now has full power, no hiccups, stumbles or misses at idle, starts much easier and faster. Almost no engine vibration or noise as compared to previously, the acceleration and throttle response is drastically improved as well. It cruises easily at highway speeds in the fast lane, when passing in general it no longer requires prayer, guardian angels and/or cleaning/stain removal of the seats.

It should be noted, I have not "turned up the fuel" on this truck. The P.O. had replaced the head gaskets and glow plugs right before I bought the vehicle in 2013. Otherwise, the engine, drive train and IP is still in its original form.

Hopefully this will help any of you who have had constant issues with the dreaded white smoke and low power.

n8roro

I have seen IP rebuild kits on eBay. Is that something that can be done with a manual in hand, or is it better to just get a rebuilt one?

cucvrus

Not sure if you have al the tools you would need to properly rebuild and calibrate an injection pump. Certain things are better left to a professional. This is one of them items IMHO. I will make no recommendations as to who or where. Good Luck. Thank you.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Injection pumps and transmissions go to the professionals, at least for me.

Plenty of info in other threads as who to send it to.
Been discussed quite a bit.

The Advance piston arm was corroded at the pivot point. After a lot of investigation, I found the piston moved freely in it's bore, just the pin had corroded and caused the actual armature to bind. I pulled the e-clip off the pin, drove it out, cleaned the rust off and after re-installing it, the armature now moves freely on its own. I'm definitely counting my stars as I got very lucky!

Gotta love being in a salt state...