• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

White Stuff in my Fuel Tank

rneely

Took cap off today to check fuel level and found this white buildup. What do you think it is? A virus? How do I get rid of it? Would a small amount of bleech be ok? I plan to fill tank to the fill line for inside winter storage and don't want the growth to continue.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

AaronW

I seem to remember a thread re this same thing like 6 months ago. Did you try a search? Can't remember the exact result.

-lookin' for ya.....

Last edited:

bryan70546

I would drain the tank the plug is on the bottom, and flush it out real good let it air dry and then treat it with something that will prevent alge should be a easy job i would add the treatment first then refill with fresh diesel . Changing all the fuel filters would not hurt either . the white stuff looks like a calcium deposit .

AaronW

Fuel will evaporate over a long period of time and leave that whitish residue in and on the metal part of the tanks.
If there is straight diesel in the tanks and the conditions are right algae can live and thrive in diesel fuel......it will crud up filters quickly. Look for black or green blobs floating in the fuel.
Pull the stainer out and see what is caught in the screen.
I agree that adding gasoline can make crappy fuel work but as stated you will go thru some filters.
Ref the drain plug on the bottom...if you unscrew that plug make darn sure you have something that will hold all the liquid in the tank......if you spill fuel in a public area and the powers that be see it you will be paying for an environmental clean up and you will not like it.

(This is from a post by WM893)

Last edited:

cbvet

I think it's normal. Might be wax. All 3 of my multi /diesel trucks, & my diesel tractor have it to some extent.
Never caused a problem. I do add a fuel treatment in the winter just in case.

1stDeuce

I've been waiting for mine to do that but it hasn't... Do you let the truck sit for long periods?? Just wondering if driving mine frequently keeps the fuel sloshing and coats the top parts of the tank better, preventing corrosion. The UMO I run probably sticks to it better too... :)

??
C

zout

algae will grow in diesel fuel is a tank is left in the sunlight and sits for a period of time - it take a biocide to kill it and it reeks havoc on diesels that have injector fuel screens in the injector and in the pump - messy stuff to deal with also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks