• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who can pick a deuce up for me at Eva Alabama?

Sevensteps

I won an M35A2C at the Alabama surplus lot in Eva Alabama.

I REALLY need it picked up ASAP. I called Eric Carlson and he quoted me a price and then never returns my call or email.

GSA told me my ten days were up on Monday, but I got an extension for a few days.

The truck runs with ether, but not by itself.

If someone could get it/towbar it for me to their house and then just hold it at their place, I would pay a reasonable fee.

Let me know if someone is in the general area and is willing to do this.

flyxpl

I had the same problem with Eric and others . They said they could do it , but when the EUC cleared I had a hard time finding someone to haul my two trucks .

Sevensteps

I had the same problem with Eric and others . They said they could do it , but when the EUC cleared I had a hard time finding someone to haul my two trucks .
Yeah, it's kind of a bummer...The truck is only 175 miles away from me in Crossville TN and so the haul bill quote was only $400 bucks....I guess he figures it's not worth prioritizing me, but IMO that's bad customer service.

If you don't want to haul it or you have gotten too big for the "little guy", then just say so and I can make other arrangements... I have spent two weeks waiting on him to return calls and emails and now GSA is crawling me wanting the truck moved.

Alredneck

Banned
Send me a pm with the particulars and I could probably get it Tuesday morning. I am outside Memphis so, I need to know where its going or I can store it at my place in Memphis. $1.75 loaded mile, insured replacement value plus loading fee if I cant drive it up on the trailer. Let me know! Captain

Sevensteps

Try calling a wrecker company maybe if its only 175 miles? I bet it will cost more like $700 but you will get it home
$700 is not an option nor is it reasonable....The $400 quote for the entire haul is reasonable.

Right now, I just need it picked up and stored somewhere close where I can make reasonable arrangements at a later time.

If someone else were willing to pick it up and deliver it completely for $400 like the quote from Eric, I'd go with that today.

Unemployment is near depression levels and yet delivery companies apparently have more work than they are willing to follow up...:cookoo:

ryan77

U would think in this economy these trucking company's would be all over any load that comes in? I had a heck of a time getting a load from georgia to Ill because it didnt run all they needed was a $200 winch to pull a blazer on the trailer!!!

Sevensteps

Send me a pm with the particulars and I could probably get it Tuesday morning. I am outside Memphis so, I need to know where its going or I can store it at my place in Memphis. $1.75 loaded mile, insured replacement value plus loading fee if I cant drive it up on the trailer. Let me know! Captain
Cap'n....PM sent.[thumbzup]

kennys@wi.rr.com

With fuel prices at $4 a gallon in most parts and a truck that gets at best 4 mpg, then add in all insurances the trucking companies have to pay and of course the driver wants to get paid, $3 to $4 a mile is very standard in the industry right now. When I was an O/O I didn't move fore less that $1.10 a mile and fuel was $0.95 a gallon then. Unemployment does have a lot to do with this, if they work for free or do work that ends up costing them money they may as well not work at all.

Sevensteps

With fuel prices at $4 a gallon in most parts and a truck that gets at best 4 mpg, then add in all insurances the trucking companies have to pay and of course the driver wants to get paid, $3 to $4 a mile is very standard in the industry right now. When I was an O/O I didn't move fore less that $1.10 a mile and fuel was $0.95 a gallon then. Unemployment does have a lot to do with this, if they work for free or do work that ends up costing them money they may as well not work at all.
All fine and well, but if you quote a price, ( in this case $400 for 175 miles), then honor that price and more importantly, FOLLOW UP with your customer.

Eric has hauled 5 trucks for me over the last two years and I have noticed a steady erosion in customer service from him.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Just asking here...but

Did you give Eric a firm pickup date up front...or "when the truck clears"? That would make a huge difference in his scheduling.

We move alot of stuff, military, construction equip, etc., and provide alot of estimates. The estimates are given based on equipment availability at that time. Of course we tell folks that.

I won't turn away a request for services while waiting for someone to make up their mind on a price or not being "exactly sure" when they want to move their stuff.
It's first come, first served here.

I'm so set in my ways that I buy MVs like this: I compute how much I would charge Joe Blow off the street to go on a military base and the hassle (sometimes) to pick up the item and deliver the item to my place...full price.
I add the transpo costs to what I think the item is worth and usually...I won't buy the item. (And I can haul nearly anything).

Transportation is a risky business now days! Look how many small trucking businesses have shut down in the last few years.

I don't think I would blast anyone too much until I had the whole story...chit happens in our lives.

Not trying to downplay the situation...just offering some experience I have had along the years.:-D

Sevensteps

Just asking here...but

Did you give Eric a firm pickup date up front...or "when the truck clears"? That would make a huge difference in his scheduling.
The truck didn't have to "clear", because it was purchased from GSA... I got the invoice the next day and the SF97 later that week. There is no army base to deal with or anything like that. It is located at an Alabama surplus property forestry lot.

I finally got ahold of Eric by phone and he quoted me the $400 price...I verbally agreed to it and he said that he would email me his standard form/release, etc...I never got an email from him...I waited several days and then tried to call and he never returned my calls or messages.

This isn't my first rodeo...As I said, Eric has hauled five trucks for me previously and the customer service has gotten steadily worse each time..

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't want to haul it or you have gotten too big for the "little guy", then just say so and I can make other arrangements...
I think Eric has spoken by not returning your calls. Also I think you might be the one being unreasonable. You have a non running 13000 lb load, that requires special equipment to haul, fuel is a all time highs, government regulations are insane. Add to that you are under pressure to remove it.

$700. (if that is a true price) isn't unreasonable. If you can't afford it don't buy stuff out of state.

Sevensteps

I think Eric has spoken by not returning your calls. Also I think you might be the one being unreasonable. You have a non running 13000 lb load, that requires special equipment to haul, fuel is a all time highs, government regulations are insane. Add to that you are under pressure to remove it.

$700. (if that is a true price) isn't unreasonable. If you can't afford it don't buy stuff out of state.
I am not going to continue to discuss it.

I was quoted a price by him which I agreed to and then he has refused to follow up with an email, call or anything.

I can most definitely "afford" $700, I am just not going to sink that much into it and possibly have no profit margin left after I get it running and sell it.

Bottom line for someone running a business...If you quote a price, then honor it and finish the deal....If you don't want to do it, simply say so and don't leave the customer hanging.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You better get ahold of Alredneck. With what he just quoted he's a little over $300. You're not going to get it done any cheaper.

3dAngus

I don't see how anyone could drive a big rig from Memphis to Eva and back, about 450 miles round trip, for $400. If he did that, you could be arrested for theft. :grin:

It's not just the mileage, but a person's time is worth something too. Crud, I need to start buying things in Memphis and have it shipped down.[thumbzup]

AMX

I paid 50 cents a mile to get my m105's from huntsville to Tn. I pent more picking up my M35a3 than shipping (1.25 loaded mile) was going to cost, I just didnt want to wait 2 more weeks.

3dAngus

50 cents per mile? That's about what the govt. pays for POV's each mile driven, there and back, without towing a thing, in a small car.

I think it's fantastic, no kidding, I just don't know how anyone could do it.

Did they have something else on the trailer that helped pay the bills or something? Just curious, because I do need to know more about how all this works.

AMX

50 cents per mile? That's about what the govt. pays for POV's each mile driven, there and back, without towing a thing, in a small car.

I think it's fantastic, no kidding, I just don't know how anyone could do it.

Did they have something else on the trailer that helped pay the bills or something? Just curious, because I do need to know more about how all this works.

Per trailer. I had two trailers for a total of $1 per mile. I thought the $1.25 plm for the deuce was a better bargain.