• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who can pick a deuce up for me at Eva Alabama?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't see how anyone could drive a big rig from Memphis to Eva and back, about 450 miles round trip, for $400.
I don't see how he could do it either but if he does I may start looking at buying some stuff a little farther from home. I've got a tractor/trailer but I can't haul for that.

3dAngus

Sevensteps, we cannot ever get enough information on transport fees, and we could all use a little help in the different geographical territories. Please come back after this is all over and tell us about your recovery with full details.

(Alredneck seems to be top notch with his pricing)

And if you don't mind a little advice, you should put your town in the location, or at least this one time, let everyone know it so they could do some quick figuring for ya. Could be, if not to far out of the way, someone might be able to pick up and drop at your doorstep, saving you some time and money.

Good luck!​

fasttruck

I think its a little large to expect someone to haul your vehicle at a cut rate to protect your profit when you sell it. If you think trucking can be done on the cheap get your own trujck and pay the fees and taxes and really get to appreciate what it costs to turn the key on. And don't forget the truck might spend half a day to get to your load and another half day to get home after delivering it and those miles are not free to the truck. remember government, especially the DOT is here to help but their attention is not free.

ryan77

I got some weird pm yesterday saying Alredneck was trying to steal a load or something i delated it??? What was that about i dont know Alredneck or the dude that sent me the pm it had a link to U ship??????:cookoo:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I am 160 miles from Redstone and I charge $300.00 for a vehicle or trailer recovery (a little less if I am going up there anyway). That is a hair less than 2 bucks a mile.

In a deuce it it pretty much an all day affair plus during this time of the year it is hotter'n ell in the deuce. I figure my time is worth something and I provide storage for free until the vehicle is removed from my LZ.

There is also the costs associated with moving something (tags, insurance, fuel, meals and fair wear and tear on the truck) that should be considered by the client.

While I don't mind assisting my fellow MV addicts this is about the only way I can make enough to support my Green Iron Addiction. My other disposable income has already been disposed of.

Just my two cents worth. Your milage may vary.

Alredneck

Banned
Ryan77 thats interesting, I wish you could of forwarded me that pm. I have a non paying customer that broke onto my yard and stole his own aircraft tug. He will be dealt with shortly.

Guys I cant haul everything for $1.75 a loaded mile, some yes all no. I get between $3-5 a loaded mile for some of my boats I haul. But when you have to provide insurance for a half million dollar yacht then things get expensive quick.

I try to cut SS members slack on rates and have been behind for some of the guys before but havent lost one yet and dont plan on it this year either. My hotshot trucks are cheaper to run but are limited on weight and trailer length, though I have been known to push the limits with some of the loads I have hauled in the name of getting SS equipment where it belongs!

I dont go around beating peoples stuff up, I treat it like it was mine except dont go taking them off into the woods and play! Dang trailer queens!

The business is getting really hard to deal with and is one reason I havent been putting the miles down I use to. I do still try to help out and if its close to where I have other business then you get a great rate.

My tire contracts are now being brokered out so I can save on my own overhead costs. You just have to figure out what is best for your situation and what you are willing to spend to get it! Trying to say what a good rate is in one part of the country is apples and oranges cause fuel cost are different fro state to state. I like out west but its also more costly for me to go that far!

Anyway good luck to all and pms have been replied to! Thers good info on here fro some good Owner drivers, businessman, and just us plan dirty grunts![thumbzup]

Sevensteps

I think its a little large to expect someone to haul your vehicle at a cut rate to protect your profit when you sell it.
I don't expect that at all...Read the thread. It has nothing, zero, zlich, nada to do with a "cut rate", nor did I ask for it from Eric.

This issue has nothing to do with price, (whatever the price is), but has everything to do with honoring the quote that HE gave me and then following up on that quote when the customer, (me), agrees with it and gives the green light to go ahead.

When a business gives you a price quote and then refuses to follow up on that quote, what exactly do you call it?

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Understood

I don't expect that at all...Read the thread. It has nothing, zero, zlich, nada to do with a "cut rate", nor did I ask for it from Eric.
This issue has nothing to do with price, (whatever the price is), but has everything to do with honoring the quote that HE gave me and then following up on that quote when the customer, (me), agrees with it and gives the green light to go ahead.
When a business gives you a price quote and then refuses to follow up on that quote, what exactly do you call it?[/QUOTE]

I certainly understand that part.
On RARE occassion one of my dispatchers may screw up a quote and give the customer a lowball number, they just forget about this or that.:cookoo:

In those cases, I contact the customer and negotiate personally...usually with good results.
In the few cases where I haven't been able to correct the mistake we run the mission for the quoted price but make sure the customer knows not to expect it again.

On the other hand, I have folks who have larger fleets than mine call and expect me to provide services (towing and hauling) for what THEY want to pay.....
In those cases I gladly refer them to another wrecker service...but they usually call back in about an hour:cookoo:

Anyhoo...good luck with your project[thumbzup]

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the other hand, I have folks who have larger fleets than mine call and expect me to provide services (towing and hauling) for what THEY want to pay.....
This is a big problem when dealing with brokers. Some brokers will quote a job and then after they have the job they try and find a trucker that will haul it that cheap. Sometimes they don't and your truck doesn't show up.

I deal with trucking companies and/or brokers on a daily basis. There are very few in the business that will show up when they say they will.

boomer

Sevensteps,
How are are you doing (otherwise). Good find on another. I also want to add to the situation. I was not able to help a friend haul back another (truck).
Another member, from the club, mentioned two names. He called the first one, which was honest enough to say he could not do it. Then Eric Carlson was called. Long story short, he commited himself to do the job. when it came close to the time, Eric C. could not be reached.
Don't waste your time with him. This was several months ago. If he's still in business, he won't be for long.
I hope you find someone that's reliable!

Bulldog 4

One of these days I am going to end up winning a 916 or a 920 and an RGN trailer for it. When I do it'll be my time to retire from cross country produce hauling and start moving equipment around. I keep trying to bid on the things but it seems like somebody else always has more money. My stash is building so we will see, hopefully soon. Since I ran my own trucking business for 7 years I understand the value of freight and also how much more business you can get just by showing up on time. I am not saying this to criticize anyone here, but I have gotten a lot of business in the past just by doing a good job hauling the first load for somebody.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks