• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has built their own 1919 mount?

choppa

I wish to build a sort of off custom
I purchased the pedestal socket and it’s on its way
What size pipe do I purchase.
I believe what is used is known as schedule 40 steel pipe
But what inside diameter do I order?
Heading to the “big city” today and a local steel supply and this might be my only chance to get this pipe in the next few weeks

if I had the socket in hand, no problem but I don’t!

thanks

ad5zo

1589590387668.jpeg

Used a the drawings from jeepdraw.com and used some welding scheming to make all the parts looks reasonable. 3/8” plate for the uprights, washers to make the bosses at the top and similarly sockets the right diameter formhe larger bosses at the base. I opted to use off the shelf pins. The screw to keep the pintle from swiveling is made from threaded pipe and a 7/16” coarse bold and some fabrication.

The drawings and looking at others mounts made it easy. I used a 2 1/2” pipe And made it the corr3ct height to mount on the left step. A square of 3/16” with holes in the corners to mount it. almost anything with a backer plate to support the jeep body.

Mostly made from junk box. I think the top section is a 2 1/2” coupling and 2 1/2” pipe. It was a lot os fitment and dry run etc. Get a cast iron couple, the ones with the wide flange on both ends, and cut one end off. Fillets and welding spatter add to the cast look ( LOL )

1589591039866.jpeg

A few other pictures here http://ad5zo.com/pix/2010warbirds/index.html

choppa

I built my own M24 early didge 1/2 ton mount for my wc12

yea I know... the M24 Mount was only used in open cab 1/2 tons..

But there IS evidence of mounts in the bed of 1/2 ton closed cabs.
My version is a bit “mirrored” in a way to work in my closed cab bed and not interfere with the cab in any way

choppa

Here is an original mount. I based my design off of this with some mods
The corner braces were the hardest to replicate. In the real world of heavy manufacturing these corner braces were formed using heavy stamping equipment.
Hard to find any shop with this tonnage equipment.

so instead build a 2” wide, right angle bracket with a 4” radius.
Two flat “gusset” for the sides. Weld and grind

what I’m saying is if ya think anything thru enough you can build it

Attachments

choppa

The corner braces were the hardest to replicate. In the real world of heavy manufacturing these corner braces were formed using heavy stamping equipment.
Hard to find any shop with this tonnage equipment.

so instead build a 2” wide, right angle bracket with a 4” radius.
Two flat “gusset” for the sides. Weld and grind

what I’m saying is if ya think anything thru enough you can build it
Three part brace. Ready to weld up

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks