• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has experience with Goodyear 1600r20's?

bigdogdale

Ok guys, I need to pick your brains. I'm relatively new on here, found the site after I bought a CUCV. Long story short the CUCV wasn't cutting it for me, and I was yearning for a duece to bob, when I came across this 1985 Ford F700 4x4. (see pix). Decided to go look at it. The owner had been building a BOV and realized he had no place to Bug Out to, and lost interest. The truck is 30k gvw with rockwell axles and a 370 4 bbl carb, stick tranny. Much to my suprise there was a 1600r20 mounted on the back of the truck. Oh yeah, the guy says, I have 4 more that go with the truck. BINGO!!:jumpin: So after reviewing countless forum posts, I think I know where to acquire wheels to super single this baby, but I'm not sure I want to go that large on tires. Here's my question: How are the 1600's hwy manners? Am I gonna have balance issues?? I've read conflicting stories and think maybe I should go with 1400r20's. If so I will have 5 1600's for sale. Also I'm wondering if I will have clearance issues when steering, with say a set of wheels from Longs. I'm not too worried about vertical clearance, bcuz I can trim fenders. Any input from you all will be greatly appreciated, as I don't want to waste time and money going one direction, only to find out I should have went the other way. Also, the M1008 (with posi front end) pictured in my avatar will be for sale shortly! THANKS!!

Attachments

jedawson1

my 14R20s have some balance issues but on my 5 ton you don't notice it much because of how heavy the truck is. I'm not sure how heavy your truck is but looking at it, I think any balance issues will be a big deal for you at hwy speeds.
I'll be following this thread to see what others are doing to balance their tires and how successful have they been in their attempts. I think the weight of your truck is going to be a factor unless there is a way to accurately balance these massive tires.
Good question, I'm glad you asked. Now if a resident expert can chime in we can learn something.:popcorn:

bigdogdale

1600's

My truck is extremely light compared to a duece and I plan on keeping it that way. Prolly install a flatbed with w/dump capabilities for small bobcat jobs that I get from time to time. Haven't had the opportunity to weigh it yet.

hdmax

I have the 53's, and they are NOT a good highway tires to say the least! I do not recommend them if you plan on doing highway driving more then a mile here an there on occasion.
They are very heavy, (nearly 500# each once mounted on HMMT wheels/adapter plate.) They want to follow the contour of the surface, and where on goes the other will follow. (You must stay 100% focused on driving at all times.) The truck ass end will skate out from under you real quick on wet roads, You need good tire speed to keep the tread clean while playing in the mud.

This is what I have noticed with a bobbed deuce, but I am sure the F700 will be very similar in manners.

jimmcld

I have a M816, a very heavy truck, with 1600x20's on it and I wouldn't recommend them for highway use. They do have ballance problems and they tend to get flat spots after sitting for a while. The 816 will eventually round out the flat spots but I'm not sure that your truck would ever be heavy enough to do so.

bigdogdale

1600's

Thanks guys. These tires we a big part of my decision to buy the truck, but once i saw them in person i had serious doubts about driveability. I have been an off road enthusiast for as long as I can remember, and while I realize i don't know it all, experience tells me these babies may not be viable for my application as I intend to use the vehicle frequently on the interstate. Soooo, now what?? Sell these i guess, and maybe try some 1400r20's? Recommendations please. I want the tallest tire I can get without sacrificing driveability.

quickfarms

What axles, trans and transfer case are in that truck. What is the gear ratio if the axles.

It looks like you have locking hubs on the front axle.

That truck looks like a former drill rig truck.

You might be surprised how heavy the truck is.

With that gasser you will want dual tanks, probably 50 gallon tanks. You can get them new from ford but sit down when they quote you the price. A good used tank and brackets runs under 400.

That Truck would look good with the S280 shelter on it.

Welder Sam

may be amazed at how far that truck will go on the stock tank of fuel. more is always better though. i used a few like it off road and was sadly disappointed. hopefully your results will be better. i personally run 395's on my deuces. as previously mentioned, they tend to follow the uneven road. however, if you go outside of the box and against the tire psi markings, air them down to about 40psi (unloaded), it makes a world of difference. all of these tires have balance problems bar none. at 45-50 mph, they arent so bad. if you arent loading it heavy, might i suggest removing at least the overloads. should help ride quality and improve the articulation.

wheels. if im not mistaken, deuce wheels will fit this rig. may look into recentered hemmt's. i like them alot.

best of luck :driver:

bigdogdale

1600's

What axles, trans and transfer case are in that truck. What is the gear ratio if the axles.

It looks like you have locking hubs on the front axle.

That truck looks like a former drill rig truck.

You might be surprised how heavy the truck is.

With that gasser you will want dual tanks, probably 50 gallon tanks. You can get them new from ford but sit down when they quote you the price. A good used tank and brackets runs under 400.

That Truck would look good with the S280 shelter on it.
The axles are front loader Rockwell model: fds 75chx, 6.14:1. The front has disc brakes and lockouts. The transmission is a 5 speed stick, unsure of the make. Chelsea transfer case with power take-off coupled to a hydraulic pump. The truck had a shingle conveyor for a roofing company. The truck also came with another fuel tank that matches the stock one, but wasn't put on due to lack of proper brackets. The shelter was an added bonus. not sure what I'm gonna do with it. Prolly gonna anchor it to concrete and use it for a storm shelter as I do not have a basement to retreat to. Between the truck, the 5 AT-2A Goodyears, the S280 shelter, and the small crane that came with it, I felt pretty good about giving the guy 4K for it.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks