• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has HEMTT rims on a 5 ton?

M1075

Have you used HEMTT rims to add super singles to your 5 ton? If so, can you help me with these questions?

1) Are your rims bolt together or split ring?
2) Did you have enough threads on the front axle to fully seat the lugnuts?
3) What is the difference in width/track on the front vs. rear?
4) Can you post pics for all to see?

Thanks guys.

jwaller

I initally used the split rim hemtt rims on the front of my 5T and they seated just fine. I liked them better than the combat rims I have now bc they are spaced out about 2 inches more than the combats and that gives you full lock to lock stearing without rubbing. I think there are some pics of it in my gallery.

halftrack

I use the HEMTT split rims on my 5 ton and they are great. They track perfectly. I didn't need to flip any hubs or any other modifications. However, the front studs are about 1/8 of an inch shy of getting a full nut on. Eventually I will change this but it is not a safety concern for me. Hear is a pic.

Attachments

halftrack

I stole mine for $100 a piece for tire and rim. I'm going to buy some more for the M813A1 also. The big problem is that they weigh about 450 lbs each! Pick up seven and you got yourself a load.

sermis

halftrack said:
I stole mine for $100 a piece for tire and rim. I'm going to buy some more for the M813A1 also. The big problem is that they weigh about 450 lbs each! Pick up seven and you got yourself a load.

450# I know I just unloaded your other set the other day. I did not strap them on the trailer as I was only going about 7 miles. One was off set when loaded. When I turned the corner down from my house I had to pull off the road for a car and the trailer bounced and off it went into the ditch. I went home, 1 mile or so, and got the tractor to go fetch it. When I got back there was a guy trying to get it loaded into his pickup. He had it sitting up but could not get it in the truck. Maybe 10 minutes or less.
I have about 20 more if someone needs any.

98hd

sermis said:
halftrack said:

450# I know I just unloaded your other set the other day. I did not strap them on the trailer as I was only going about 7 miles. One was off set when loaded. When I turned the corner down from my house I had to pull off the road for a car and the trailer bounced and off it went into the ditch. I went home, 1 mile or so, and got the tractor to go fetch it. When I got back there was a guy trying to get it loaded into his pickup. He had it sitting up but could not get it in the truck. Maybe 10 minutes or less.
I have about 20 more if someone needs any.
If only you were closer!

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I got back there was a guy trying to get it loaded into his pickup. He had it sitting up but could not get it in the truck.
I bet he about busted his gut on that! I have been wanting to try a set of FMTV wheels with the 395/85R20's. I picked up 2 with tires a while back. I need to find 5 more and see what they look like. The only problem I have found is that the lug holes are only chamfered on the outside because the FMTV runs all of their wheels the same way. I'm sure you could bevel the edge enough to get the lugs to seat or flip the hubs and run them all the same.

Jones

Not sure how I lucked out but I have plenty of clearance on the baby HEMTT. The "garbage truck wheels" ('cause scrapped garbage trucks are what my truck wrecker sees them on mostly) have a different offset than the HEMTT wheels and that puts my fronts closer together, but I still come up against the stops before anything rubs.
With this offset my wheels are the same track front and rear.

Attachments

majortom

I have Hemtt lock-ring wheels with 1600x20 Michelins on my 543 wrecker. I have no interference front or rear, on or off road. The front wheel studs are too short for safety, so I machined down rear thimbles, screwed them on first & then installed the wheels. In the rear, I had to remove the mud flaps. I have very high tread tires, so the rears come very close to each other but they don't touch. The truck will do 65mph but is hard to keep in the lane.

sermis

Not 100% sure but I think the HEMTT will be about 3" farther out than the FMTV's unless you flip the rims outward then 3" imward per wheel.

sermis

OK using my professionally calibrated bathroom scale from Wal-Mart, FMTV rims are 120# and HEMTT rims are 150# W/O bead locks.