• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has "rock guard" coated their rockers etc?

iacucv

The BF AT tires on my newly acquired m1008 like to fling gravel and seeing as I live on gravel the lower fenders, rockers, etc are taking a beating. Already got some surface rust after a week and a half. So, I'm going to coat the bottom 4" or so all around and the insides of the wheel wells to protect it from rusting. Has anyone done this, what brand/product did you use and how did you like it? In my bodyshop days we used a product I believe by SEM and it worked pretty well but I want to get the best out there with Iowa's salt spray winters. Thanks guys! Oh, I did search too didn't find what I wanted.

MichiganMudder

I used dupli-color's bed armor aerosol kit on my rockers. Its like 2 cans for like $14 at autozone when its on sale. Mine is holding up really well. Its really a bed-liner spray, but has held up really well, and still looks good after a year. I have about 3 coats, and like i said, its holding up really well. Its all about the prep. If you sand and get rid of the rust first, any product will work.

Also, Michigan is extremely heavy on salt in the winter, and the dupli-color has withstood the abuse so far.

Hope this helps you.

shortydooo222

rustoleum

I had the exact same problem that you have, what I did is bought a gallon of the rustoleum bed liner, its about forty buck at any local department store with an auto section it seems to be working really well you roll it on so you can put multiple coats and a gallon should be more that enough for the rockers and all the wheel wells

iacucv

It will be very thoroughly prepped. I'm OCD about prep before any painting, stuck with me from my body shop background! Come to think of it I'm a little OCD about most things, I find when the details are perfect the results are perfect. CUCV1833 I wouldn't run the 3M rubber undercoating externally, it is great for rust prevention and alot of other things but road debris will probably wear through it eventually. Good product but not what I'd pick. I will call up my buddy that runs the shop and ask him the name of that product, it was fantastic stuff, paintable etc and took a beating.

tourus

I Have used the rock gard from NAPA and had real good luck for sevral years after still in good shape. and Living on a gravel road i would put some short mud flaps on. front and back makes a world of diffance dont have to be real long so that they get ripped off but 4-6 inch will do great. NAPA also has that body shultz stuff that works great to prtect rockers and inner fenders.