• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has the air assist steering on their deuce?

mcinfantry

i do. i have it and lockouts. worth every penny when prallel parking at LSU tailgating and city street driving. not helpful on the interstate.
what do you want to know specifically?
1) i would buy it, before i would buy lockouts.
2) i would buy ouverson over selectro (i have selectro)

Crazyguyla

It has a specially designed drag link that directs the air pressure. I think I still have the technical drawings around here somwhere. It's the same steering setup on the M35A3's

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
OK, here are some pics, courtesy of Recovery4x4 and M35 Products:

And this info courtesy the M35products.com website:

Manual steering is always available as a backup in the event of a power assist failure.

If pressure in the system drops below 60 PSI, Air-O-Matic's safety valve closes protecting your air brake system and returning the steering to manual control. When sudden engine failure occurs, reserve air allows you to steer the vehicle to a safe stop.

Installation takes only four hours using standard automotive tools: no cutting, welding, or fabrication required.

Attachments

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
And to answer the question about the air ram, I believe it works the same as an early Mustng with the add on power steering, except with air obviously. A valve fluctuates within the cylinder, allowing air to push one way or the other.

jatonka

The M35 Products kits come complete, everything is there. I have 2 trucks with them installed and just bought 2 more trucks with them on from the Gov't. They are excellent when off road. John T

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Flatlander said:
What's wrong with Selectro?
Some folks do not like the Selectro hubs as they are more likely to allow water into the hub, as opposed to the Ouverson style.

Howver, some folks prefer the Selectros, as their trucks do not go swimming often and the Ouversons look very non original due to how far they stick out.

YankeeDuece

I just received a quote from Memphis supply yesterday for the Air-o-matic, $ 1945.00 plus $40.00 shipping. I have a couple of other calls out for quotes but have not received them yet. Will keep you posted.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are there any negatives to the air assist?
It'll lighten your pocket to the tune of about $1300.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm very happy with the selectro hubs.

My air-o-matic came with everything needed. You can also call Mr. M35products on the phone if you have a problem you don't understand. I'd buy straight from interagency motor pool.

Note: never flip the air-shift 'on' when moving with any kind of lockout hubs disengaged. A surprisingly unpleasant sound may momentarily occur.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just bought a new air o matic ram by itself off ebay for $35, now I need to buy the control valve/drag link. I think I can make the mounts and lines easily. Anybody have any ideas where to get the drag link? Any body have an extra's laying around?