• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has the Highest Mileage Deuce?

Mark2X2

Just wondering, any one have a 100,000 plus on a 35A2?
Has anybody put any serious miles on there truck?
The Military seems to change out motors by time & mileage from what I've seen.
All the GL trucks I've looked at seem to have less than 35,000 miles.
Mine had a new engine & tranny in 1985, bought it with less 20,000 miles, 809 hrs
Appears to be late 1970 early 71.
Just curious.
Mark

M35A2 Deuce
M105A2 Trailer
M101A1 Trailer
3 Rokons

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I put about as much faith in mileage and hour gauges in MV's as I put in...er...well maybe a fart in a tornado??
I have heard so many different stories on those gauges i just don't put any weight on em.

Anyway...MV's are like anything else...ain't the use that kills em...it's the lack of care and maintenence.
I would be suprised to see an MV that had actually been driven 100K miles on original gauges.
Just my opinion.

scooter01922

Use the gauges for your personal info once you get the truck, anything they say from before that time is all speculative. No real way to verify if things are correct of off by 20K

wsucougarx

Definately would not depend on the gauges. One thing I remember about my 1971 GPD M35A2. It had 320 hours on the dial when I recovered her from FT Lewis. When I went to sell it had 310 hours. I watched it for awhile during idle and noticed the hours were decreasing rather than increasing. Oh well, she's sold no worries now.

trog

1971 M35A2, 71,000 miles, 2200 hours. Runs well. Miles and hours are consistent with 2Deuces', suggesting accuracy. Recent GL sale in CA.

datsunaholic

Mine read over 88,300 on the odo when I got it, but under 20 hours on the tach. Tach was obviously replaced, and didn't live 20 miles after that. I now have a much older tach, which was pre-loaded with many, many hours so God knows what the real hours are. Plus the engine was depot-rebuilt in 1992.

EDIT... well, the pic isn't readable with it shunk down to that size. But it shows the odometer with 88,349.1 miles and the hour meter is obscured by the tach needle (it read 0020.4 at the time)

Attachments

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
1. Gauges mean NOTHING. Ignore them. I have a picture at home I need to share, it's a deuce speedo with a piece of masking tape that says "add 77,000". I saw the pic on GL.

How many trucks out there got new gauges (for whatever reason) and no one bothered to do this? Or the masking tape fell off? etc.

The speedo in my M38A1 has gone bad-when I drive it, the needle goes backwards. I replaced it with a new speedo. What was I supposed to do, hook a drill up to the cable and wait for 60K miles to show on the odometer?

How many deuce (or mv's in general) have you seen with unmatched hours/miles (i.e. 10K miles but 120 hours). Since one gauge is wrong, is it possible for both to be wrong? See all the trucks on GL that have been cannibalized? Ya' ever wonder where those parts went? We have a parts deuce that came without the instrument cluster. Those gauges went somewhere.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/1299-highest-mileage-hour-deuce.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3618-higest-mileage-contest.html

Attachments

Last edited:

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
about 10 years ago i saw a gl sale truck at aberdeen, md that showed 92,000 miles. it was a pipeline truck, had a window in the block and was real rusty.

armytruck63

Fuel gages mean nothing, too. Thie weekend I filled up the deuce and the gage read barely over 1/2 a tank.

Look inside the tank or use a stick.

Wolf.Dose

Clinto has a A3 tacho.
Right, milage means not so much.
If a truck goes into Depot manitanance, it is rebuilt to a so called new condition. This means all gauges are set to 0.
The tachometer is set as said on the housing, to 1500 rpm an hour which will be one hour. Higher rpm will make it count faster.
Depot maintanances should be recorded with triangles on the drivers seat base. Due to the experiance here in Europe the trucks will go through a Depot maintamance after 50000 miles or so. But documentation sometimes is very poor, refer also to the tags on the engine. They are a better help. The rebuilt engines did not know to which chaasis they will be fit, as well as tanies and transfers and axles.
Depot maintanance means they are completely torn apart, all parts are overhould and set to new standard so the truck is considerd to be new. A big depot for that is in Savem/Lux. I have ben there in 1985 and saw the striped trucks and tanks to the last nut and bolt.
If someone has 50000 miles plus on the gauge, he has a truck long time not seeing a Depot maintanance. So it is a long runner out of the contol of the Army.
With the given info about the hour counting everyone should be able to control the milage. In case of bigger discerpancies one of the gauges was changed in between.
Wolf

Sundance

Just brought home my M109 with 19700 miles on the odometer and 120 hrs on the tach. The odometer was very accurate on the 750 mile trip which took 15 hours driving time while the tach only added 3.5 hours and never showed over 1500 RPM. Guess I need a new tach.

chris837rj

Well I put on 2600 during a trip from oregon to texas a couple of months ago. Had deuce butt in spades! Though a pillow was very nice. I averaged 47 mph talk about slow going. Going up the rockies I hit a 13% grade was in 1st low pedal to the floor and hit a whopping 3 mph and the engine wouldn't give me full rpms. Talk about not enough power! I attribute the 19,600lb load to that one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks