• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who has the oldest VIN on his truck?

Would be interesting!

On my deuce, the relevant part of the VIN says 10094, that should be the 93rd vehicle from the first contract, if I understood the decoding correctly.

Shoot!

Mark

Whitey

Can't recall the VIN at the moment, but I know someone with a '52 Studabaker (gov't coverted to M35a2 config). It's awesome how these trucks morphed into newer models over the years. Just goes to show you the longevity of the original design.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would be interesting!

On my deuce, the relevant part of the VIN says 10094, that should be the 93rd vehicle from the first contract, if I understood the decoding correctly.

Shoot!

Mark
That depends on what the other numbers are. All of the very early trucks I've seen had a "M" in front of the VIN. Later trucks had a lot number before the sequence number and the number went back to zero when the lot number changed.

ccequipment

I have a 52 Studabaker with winch in the yard that is in the A2 setup with turbo multi fuel and air shift transfer case. Just hate to cut it up in a bobber

Buz

I've got an old M108 with the Austin Western Crane. The data plates show 1951 Reo serial #130429 with a delivery date of 4-22-54.

That depends on what the other numbers are. All of the very early trucks I've seen had a "M" in front of the VIN. Later trucks had a lot number before the sequence number and the number went back to zero when the lot number changed.
in my case, the whole VIN is 012710094, and its on the right side of the frame (passenger side).

I suspect that the frame is older, because it has the mounting bracket for the exhaust from the gasser (exiting before the first rear axle), and the bracket also looks quite used. Deuce archeology...

When the first M35a2 were built, did they convert older, good vehicles to the new standard (like they did with M35a2s to M35a3s)? Did the vehicles get new VINs in the process?

Cheers,
Mark

Crazyguyla

in my case, the whole VIN is 012710094, and its on the right side of the frame (passenger side).

I suspect that the frame is older, because it has the mounting bracket for the exhaust from the gasser (exiting before the first rear axle), and the bracket also looks quite used. Deuce archeology...

When the first M35a2 were built, did they convert older, good vehicles to the new standard (like they did with M35a2s to M35a3s)? Did the vehicles get new VINs in the process?

Cheers,
Mark
Look on the drivers side for a SN. That's where the SN is on my M45.

Many M35/35A1's were converted to A2's.

zak

Mine's a 53 with a M vin. It's been rebuilt into an A2 probably in 1988. Engine and transfer case stamped with 88 date.
Has D turbo electric wipers, new rear box and cover. Axle's all are stamped with 53' date, no tags and NO axle
vents!

hole

Cheers,
Mark
Mark, originally your truck was most likely a N/A LD 465 with horizontal exhaust. Take a look under the fender where your exhaust comes through. Is it a nice smooth looking "factory" cut, or is it a rough looking cut?

Mark, originally your truck was most likely a N/A LD 465 with horizontal exhaust. Take a look under the fender where your exhaust comes through. Is it a nice smooth looking "factory" cut, or is it a rough looking cut?
Unfortunatly (only for this matter :) ) the original fenders got replaced by new ones during the restoration process. They are as smooth as a babies butt !;)

Thanks,
Mark

@ crazyguyla : do you mean SN or VIN ? Where exactly is this number to be found? My Deuce has a lot of paint on the frame...

@ zak : where are the axles stamped? I'll have a look at the axles again, but I think I have not seen a mfg date on them (they have metal tags, though).

Crazyguyla

Mark,

The Serial Number, if it's was a gasser, should be around the front shock mount on the driver's side. If the paint is thick, you may not be able to see it. My SN is stamped in 1 inch letters and begins with a "M".

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks